Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under and behind the drivers seat of my 159 is soaking wet. The seals seem fine so Im baffled as to where its coming from! Any ideas anyone please?

·
Registered
378 Posts
There is a sheet inside the door which can fail - this happened on my passenger side door, and looks like it is going on the drivers side now.

The tell-tale sign is water on the Alfa Romeo badged kick panel (is that what it's called) when you first open the door after wet weather. If it can get to there, then it's a simple route to the carpet and floor.

Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check that just now! Ive even been under the car and it all looks pretty good under there. Fingers crossed you guys are correct, thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I dont think thats it, the alfa badge on the kick plate is dry, as is the front carpet, but its not raining right enough so I'll check again. The middle of the capet is the wettest part, the sides under the door opening are bone dry! I shouldve kept my 147 it was perfect! Thanks anyway

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have another look straight after it has been raining hard. The other possibility is that the aircon drain pipe is leaking inside the car.

Pete

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sounds like typical drain pipe to me. Mine was missing from the car and was wet under drivers seat, rear passenger foot well, could see beads of water under the little carpet flap in front foot well! Was a carpet/seats out job but they could not change carpet under warranty as they were unavailable for 3 months, so i have now got slightly stained cream carpet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that youve mentioned it, Ive had issues with the air con system and had the pipes and a reconditioned compressor fitted 6 months ago. I noticed the water problem in the new year, so logic would suggest that the air con drain is the fault! However 3 alfas later, I know logic isnt always right:lol: Do any of you know where I can find the drain, or find where it should be? I think I'll check that carpet flap in the front footwell! Shame about the cream carpet, there must be a good carpet cleaner on the market that would sort that though! Thanks for all your help folks.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The other thing you could check is that when the air cons being used and you park up you should get a puddle of water on the floor under the car.... if you dont its probably because its draining into the car!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would bet money it's the air con draining into the car, not out. It will, in all probability, find its way to the back under the front carpet. In my opinion, Alfa's quality control leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wet carpets (drivers side front and rear) were due to an incorrectly refitted splash sheet in the door after the rear electric window anti-trap was replaced. No wet kick panels, just wet carpet. Puddle in back, front felt dry, until I lifted the little vin number cover in the drivers footwell and the thick foam was wet at the bottom, just hadn't soaked through to the carpet yet. PhilipS

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Not heard that one before but the front door membranes seem to be the culprit to some of the water ingress issues, mines always leaked on passenger side but only on to the plastic trim not the carpet... but they have had that door panel off 4 or 5 times to try and fix door mirror....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again thanks for the help. Im leaning towards the air con issue being the cause, so I need to get it booked in and checked out. Although Ive deliberately not turned on the air con or climate control for the past week, and the carpet is wetter. Should the drain still leak with the air con off?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ah bugger... just found the same on mine today and it is not the air con drain pipe. This can be quite easily checked by taking off trim on RHS of centre console and pulling back the carpet. The black rubber drain hose is clamped onto a plastic fitting and with the air con running it was bone dry with no leaks/weeps. The carpet at the driver footwell is dry anyway, just the rear foot well that is soaked. Both rear windows can be easily pushed in (compared to the front windows) to break the seal and I suspect that the water could be getting in there and then past the membrane inside the door, which appears to failed on a few other 159s on here.

How'd you get on with yours paisley?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Behold I may have possible solutions for your ills - especially if you park nose up :).

I've had my 159 3.2 Q4 for 4 weeks and at first I noticed the water getting onto the door seals. Investigation showed that a small amount water was getting past the door inner panels on the LH side only. Unlike all other cars I've owned, where a plastic membrane is glued (or otherwise attached), the inner panels are steel pressings and they have a gasket around the outer periphery.

On mine there was some seepage along the bottom edges of those panels. This was fixed as follows:

Remove the panel retaining screws along the bottom and the sides. Loosen the top edge screws. Now the panel can be pulled away from the door at the bottom so that sealant can be applied to the gasket. I used Hylomar non setting material. After I re-fitted the screws I then applied a bead of Silicone sealant around the inner door panel. So far there have been no leaks from the door areas.

However, it was while investigating the door leaks (car parked nose up) that I found a significant other leak where the RH rear carpets were sodden and there was water visible through the chassis number inspection flap at the front :rolleyes:.

I completely removed the carpets (seats out etc.) so that they could be allowed to drip dry in the garage. The 'undercarpet' is sponge rubber and it acts like a sponge, funnily enough.

I found that the source of the water was from a badly sealed seam between the scuttle and the A-Post at the RH side.

The picture shows this area - you have to remove a bit of sound deadening stuff to see that BTW.

Although I could have done this myself, the car has gone back to the dealer to have this fixed. I'll let you know the outcome but I'm 99% sure that that's the only place.

(The car is also having a new TEG unit (ignition switch) because it had the 'cold weather remote locking failure' problem too).

BTW the car did not leak when parked in a nose down position. Don't know what the situation would have been in a horizontal position but I suspect it would have leaked in deluge conditions.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Ken, plan to take the carpet out completely as well to get it dry but will wait for the weather to improve a bit before tackling this.

Oh and I also have the 'cold weather remote locking failure' problem too :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts