Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to reverse my '07 159 into a skip (stereo on too loud to hear the parking aid :eek: ). It was very slow, so there was only cosmetic damage (scratch & shallow dent to the boot lid and a cracked nearside light cluster). I had it repaired and all was fine when I picked the car up on Saturday.

On Thursday morning I put my case in the boot and shut the lid, but when I got in the car the warning that the boot was open came on, and it's stayed on even though the boot closes, locks and opens normally. There is a small sprung plastic flap on the latch which has come loose and slipped down into the bodywork - I don't think this is relevant, but thought I should mention it.

What I can't find out is how the sensor for the boot works. Is it in the lid (in which case I need to take it back to the body shop) or in the main body of the car (in which case I'll get it sorted at June's service, unless it's something easy for me to sort out myself)?

Any information or advice would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are two microswitches inside the boot lock itself. One send a signal to the ECU to turn on the light in the boot. That microswitch tend to brake. Result is no light...

The other microswitch is a position feedback for the ECU that the boot is open. And that switch is less prone to break. But seems to have done so in your case.

I have tried to look inside the lock itself, but its not accessible without disassembling the lock with a drillbit and some brute force. And getting it back together seems unlikely.

Buy a new boot lock and replace. Which is easy.

Rgds
Alfa^2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boot open warning light

There are two microswitches inside the boot lock itself. One send a signal to the ECU to turn on the light in the boot. That microswitch tend to brake. Result is no light...

The other microswitch is a position feedback for the ECU that the boot is open. And that switch is less prone to break. But seems to have done so in your case.

I have tried to look inside the lock itself, but its not accessible without disassembling the lock with a drillbit and some brute force. And getting it back together seems unlikely.

Buy a new boot lock and replace. Which is easy.

Rgds
Alfa^2
I know this is an old thread but I recently had this same problem and thought that this might help others.

Firstly I discovered that the Micro switch that signals boot open can dislodge itself and can be clipped back down through the gap at the top of the lock. Best to remove the lock to see this. But this was not my issue.....

In my case the boot open warning light was caused by bared wires inside the flexible rubber boot the loom runs through as it transitions from the body to the boot lid. Closing the boot made the rubber boot bend which caused the bared wires to touch and create a circuit. Worth a look before going out and buying a new lock.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I recently had this same problem and thought that this might help others.

Firstly I discovered that the Micro switch that signals boot open can dislodge itself and can be clipped back down through the gap at the top of the lock. Best to remove the lock to see this. But this was not my issue.....

In my case the boot open warning light was caused by bared wires inside the flexible rubber boot the loom runs through as it transitions from the body to the boot lid. Closing the boot made the rubber boot bend which caused the bared wires to touch and create a circuit. Worth a look before going out and buying a new lock.
Cheers Ten57,

The micro switch being raised off its contact was exactly what was causing my "truck open" :beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you very much!!! That was the problem. I knew that i can lock the car if I hold the switch and then lock with key but i tried to do that with the boot a bit down and that didnt worked .So apparently the wires are touching when the boot on a closed possition. I will try to fix the wires.

For anyone having this problem the QUICK SOLUTION is while the boot is OPEN to HOLD THE SENSOR WITH YOUR FINGER and then lock the car with the key THEN CLOSE THE BOOT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts