Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about. I got into my 159 2.4ti on Friday night, started her up and couldn't get any gears, it was like the box wasn't there!
I restarted the car and hey presto all fine again! Hasnt happened since but is this a sign of things to come............................

Hope not :(

Thanks

Steveo

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That sounds a bit spooky, as far as I know there is nothing electrical going on with the gearbox, assuming it's a manual. Was the gear lever going into position? Maybe the bushes/cables? are worn, beats me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it's a stiff lever try greasing the linkages. Not sure otherwise....

To clarify, I'm assuming this is a manual?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes its a manual, really weird! I am having issues with the clutch slipping at the mo but this was something else! Could it be something on the traction control???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Its wasn't anything like that - really strange, yes its a manual - could it be the traction control?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Are you saying it went in gear but car didn't move or are you saying the gear lever was really weird and didn't feel like it was connected to the gearbox.

Traction control will not affect the ability to select gears nor should it affect ability to pull away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying it went in gear but car didn't move or are you saying the gear lever was really weird and didn't feel like it was connected to the gearbox.

Traction control will not affect the ability to select gears nor should it affect ability to pull away.
Hi, the gear selector went into the gears really easily but nothing engaged - car didnt move just revved up - weird but no problem since.........................fingers crossed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Clutch sticking is the only other thing I can think of.

Has it had any clutch work done at all?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You would have noticed if the clutch pedal was odd. Therefore nothing stuck at pedal or slave cylinder.

So that just leaves the clutch itself (which you already said was slipping).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The key is in your second post "I am having issues with the clutch slipping" clearly your clutch needs investigating.
Thanks Guys, Yes the clutch is slightly slipping but that all. Maybe it stuck on? Ive heard reports of the 159 clutches doing this, so I'm not sure?????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Except "slightly slipping" and 'completely slipping' is what you are experiencing.
That's the thing it only slips very occasionally when really booting up hill in say 4th or 5th, so when this happened it was a real shock. It hasn't done it since so hopefully just a one off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts