Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a quick post to check if anyone has any thoughts

I am getting rid of my 159 SW as want a smaller car as a run around.

Have found a 2011 Giulietta with 127k on clock, the 140bhp 2 litre diesel, full service history and the car looks very well looked after inside and out - £3.5k

The only 2 things I can see that don't work is that the stop/start says unavailable (but this could have been to it being cold and also as at dealers there is only a thimble amount of fuel in it!)

The panoramic sunroof opens but to close it you have to continually press the button so it jumps forward bit by bit, I have read that the channels could just need lubricating but then it could be something else like a motor....?

Any views?

Thanks - looking forward to hopefully getting Alfa #4.... had to get rid of my beloved 156 earlier this year as the floor was rotting away.... sniff...

·
Registered
32,197 Posts
EML could be gear position sensor. Worth getting that checked before going any further with a deal. It’s because it’s protecting the engine until it’s fixed.

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
Sounds like it is priced on the high side considering the miles.

It will likely need suspension work if it hasn't already been done. Also check cambelt history, the wiring between the hatch and body (Odd wiper or light behaviour are the main symptoms)

EGR cooler cover should have been fixed by now, same with the issues on early gearboxes being reluctant to go into 1st gear.

It will probably need a clutch and flywheel sooner rather than later at that mileage too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it is priced on the high side considering the miles.

It will likely need suspension work if it hasn't already been done. Also check cambelt history, the wiring between the hatch and body (Odd wiper or light behaviour are the main symptoms)

EGR cooler cover should have been fixed by now, same with the issues on early gearboxes being reluctant to go into 1st gear.

It will probably need a clutch and flywheel sooner rather than later at that mileage too.

Thanks,

Belts had been changed at 5 years/75k so that's all fine, clutch seemed fine, comes with 3 month warranty including clutch, didn't hear any knocking from suspension. Wiring seemed fine, i checked the radio due to the aerial and also the rear wiper position

I did think maybe priced a little high but there isn't much availability in Cornwall!, also it's the full leather, electric heated seats etc so seems highish spec

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
Thanks,

Belts had been changed at 5 years/75k so that's all fine, clutch seemed fine, comes with 3 month warranty including clutch, didn't hear any knocking from suspension. Wiring seemed fine, i checked the radio due to the aerial and also the rear wiper position

I did think maybe priced a little high but there isn't much availability in Cornwall!, also it's the full leather, electric heated seats etc so seems highish spec

It is recommended to get the belts and waterpump changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles or so by most people.

So the belt and pump could really do with changing again now.

It is a relatively easy belt change, should be about £300 or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is recommended to get the belts and waterpump changed every 4 years or 40,000 miles or so by most people.

So the belt and pump could really do with changing again now.

It is a relatively easy belt change, should be about £300 or so.
40,000 seems a bit excessive?!

i've always followed the handbook guidelines (apart from the last 3 years of the 156 where i didn't bother), never had one go or heard of one going from anyone I know with one.

I'm sure they do but it almost seems like an 80/90's hangover

I could be wrong :LOL:

on the plus side they've just emailed to say they've fixed the roof so i think I'll just bite the bullet and buy it.... I told myself I could break the Alfa habit but I clearly can't (and pleeeeeease don't hate me on here for saying that my 10 year old BMW 3 series estate is a far superior car to the 159.... just not as pretty!)

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
The Giulietta uses the same waterpump as the 1.9 and 2.4. Both of which were know to suffer pump failures causing the belt to come off or snap.

The handbook also states 5 years (or 4 years under harsh conditions) the question is how would you describe harsh conditions?

Depends how lucky you feel I suppose.

A 3 series is a better car in many ways but not in all of them. I have a 1 series and overall its a better car than the G. I have the "Unreliable" cam chain eating N47 engine in mine, and to be honest it is a cracker of an engine. Faster, more economical and much more refined than the Alfa lump. The Alfa sounds like a Massey Ferguson in comparison.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Done the same swap as you going from 159sw 1.9jtdm to a G all be it 1.4ma. As above check the usual suspects wiring etc. Also if you bite the bullet defo change belt kit as it’s just not worth risking it.

with you on the BMW yes it’s not the same sort of styling but engineering wise it’s head and shoulders above Alfa. My N57 e92 is spot on plenty of power and still returns better mpg than my 1.9jtdm ever did. In fact around town it is equivalent to what the Alfa did on a motorway run. Only real gripe with the beemer is the utter garbage electric limited slip,back end twitchy on hard acceleration until DSC does its thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts