Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Numerous complaints on here that the front inside edge wears badly on the Ti, they do, its true.

But has no one noticed that the rears wear on the OUTSIDE.

Hence today at 6600 miles, I have rotated them, the front inside tread is now like new, I dont expect a difference in rear grip either as they are reasonably well matched in the centre for wear and now dont lean on the worn parts.

My car is on a contract and I didnt need to do this, but its not on environmentally not to extend the tyres useful life.

Worth a try - assuming your geometry is the same as mine!

Obviously dont do this if the tyres really bad on the edge!

·
Registered
431 Posts
The 17 inch Bridgestone Potenzas on my 2.2 JTS were down to 3mm on the inside after 9000 miles of mainly motorway driving with pressures at 2.5 bar(I find the high speed recommendation of 2.7 bar too hard for off-motorway driving or even some motorway surfaces in the U.K.)I was about to do a three thousand mile round trip to Italy.Knowing some European countries have stricter tyre regulations,I swapped fronts to rear as I noticed,like you, they were down to 3mm on the OUTside.Soon after I got home the I replaced the fronts(original rears) at 12600 miles.They still had 2/3 mm left.The rears were a more even 3mm across the whole tread.At 15900 miles they had to be replaced too.
At the moment I am approaching 22600 having swapped front to rear again.I reckon by 28-29000 miles I'll need four more new tyres.Like you say,swapping the tyres means you are using the centre part of the tread more efficiently and get about 3/4000 miles more out of them.
I wonder if anyone out there is on Michelin Pilots?Do they justify the higher price because of there wear rate?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I rotated my 19" TI wheels at 10k km being afraid of uneven wear and i was surprised that the wear was absolutely even. PZero Neros also.
I'm a bit dissapointed they held so good because I really wanna try something else as I find PZeros are crappy and noisy :(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
235 40's ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My rear tyres were wearing just fine. Had the new tyres put on the back so brought the rears forward. I doub't they'll last long there though:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
My P zero's lasted till 10000miles now got 4 bridgestone AE50s seem to be alot quieter now

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Do you have a Ti? The Bridgestone are not the correct load rating:eek:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I just got Bridgestones for the Brera - 235/45/18 at 98Y Load rating

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I was thinking from a 19" Ti perspective Dougie. Only Conti & P Zero's do those:(

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Are you sure? Nev told me that my Michelins were not available in 98Y rating but they were! My Bridgestone 18s are RE050A's

Blackcircles only quoted Pirelli & Continental for me as did most suppliers.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
All the usual sites I check list just those 2 in the size load rating. Would be chuffed if there were more options it 19".

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
235/40/19 are on the Ti.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Just checked Blackcircles - Limited 235/40/19 Y choice as mentioned.

BUT mega 245/40/19 Y choice with Kumhos, Falkens and Dunlops at good prices. I know what I would do ;)

Buy Tyres Online

1 - 20 of 22 Posts