Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking at the state of my brake discs since they were an advisory item on my last service. Also thought that I may 'upgrade' to MTEC discs and OMP pads if I did. Looking on MTEC website they list the front discs as 305 diameter and rears as 278.

Whilst I have yet to take of the wheels to accurately measure my discs, the back ones are likely to be 278 but the fronts appear to be somewhere between 305 and the 330 as fitted to a 2.4. etc.

Have I got a problem?:confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
There was a thread on this not so long back ... all TI cars have 330mm front discs. The 1.9 jtdm and 2.2 petrol have a 278 rear disc. The 2.4jtdm and the 3.2 petrol having the larger rear disc aswell.

Ive got MTEC drilled and grooved all round .... Initially i was pleased but now after 3 months im not rating them that good to be fair. Ive found odd perferations in the alloy,The holes and grooves hold a lot of brake dust, There not coated so the centres de-colour and look horrible, unlike the more expensive types. I definately wish id have spent even twice as much as gone with EBC or similar... Plus im on accelera tyres and ferodo pads !

MTEC discs + Ferodo Pads + Accelera tyres .... Stops like a cadillac ! ! !

O.K the tyres arent all that bad i exaggerated ! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I have just taken off the front and rear wheels and given everything a good clean and measured up the discs. The rear are definitely 278 mm diameter. The front are vented (28mm overall thickness)with Brembo 4 pot calipers and measure 338 mm overall diameter. Is that the same as 330 mm diameter and does that match other Ti owners experiences, or have I somehow got a 'special (and impossibe to replace!)' size?

AdamHarvey- so MTEC not a success? I have them on my modified Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo and they are much better than standard Brembo drilled. MTEC now do black or silver coated discs now- maybe worth the extra or look at alternatives.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There definately 330 you'll never measure them exact unless there off the hub on a flat surface. I got all kinds of readings trying to do mine on the vehicle.

Yeah maybe the coated ones will stop de-colouration. But I do have wonders about the quality of there metal, there cheap I know but ill defo pay extra next time.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Yeah maybe the coated ones will stop de-colouration. But I do have wonders about the quality of there metal, there cheap I know but ill defo pay extra next time.
The other issue is that the coated discs won't work properly or even bed-in properly until the coating has worn off.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The type of coated discs that I buy has a sprayed on coating that does not rust, but is not galvanised. It also assists with bedding in of pads as the coating contains a friction enhancing agent. It also wears off withing 6 miles. Brake discs, rotors, pads & kits for street/race use by Powerbrake it's here in South Africa but they produce/distribute excelent brake products.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread ;-/

I'm also looking into new disc so would be interested to know what Thunderbox went for as was also looking at the Mtec but with the coating!!

Also I have the newer 2.0 ti.. guessing that the 278 rears too?

Must say the original Brembo front disc look like they are made of butter as the cars only cover 28k and heavily limped and rusty (bought the car 2nd hand so difficult to know how driven)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any further reviews on MTEC?

I'm looking from more of fashion over function....

Also to confirm all Ti's are 330 front and 278 rear?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts