Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Since buying my Ti I've noticed the ride is pretty cosseting and have no complaints about it. The suspension does however seem to be easily overwhelmed when going over yumps at slower speeds than in my E46 BMW Msport. The car feels very front heavy in these situations and seems to bottom out the front suspension quite easily. Is this tired springs or just the Alfa in general? the car has only done 54k miles.

Jonny

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its the 2.4. The car feels pretty good on everything else other than 2 particular yumps that are on my commute. It may be that my previous car had 50:50 weight distribution which meant the car was completely solid over it. My wifes similar mileage Astra SXI 1.9 CDti behaves exactly the same as the ti on the same bump so maybe its just the weight distribution.

As a side note I've been quoted £86.00 ea supply only for rear springs from the alfa workshop as I've got a broken left rear spring which needs dealt with asap. Is this a good price? They are the genuine article.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Rear springs cracking are a common fault that will likely happen again. Swap for a set of Eibach springs. 150 ish from alfisti shop for all 4. I just did this but swapped the shocks for bilstein B6 ones at the same time. Was about 580 pounds delived from alfisti! Transformed my 2.4ti !! There is a thread on it in here. Still active .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would these be fine with standard dampers? I've had lowered cars in the past and was never really a fan. I'd be worried the extra spring rates would overwhelm the standard dampers. Also my sister was refused an insurance as the insurance company said her car was lowered, which it was but she didn't know it at the time. I'd be worried the same would happen to me, I suppose it doesn't cost anything to price it anyway.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I can't imagine there is a lot of difference if any between the TI and Pro-kit spring rates as Eibach usually take the standard springs (in the case of the 159, those from the Lusso) and uprate them by 20-25%

-The TI ones must already be uprated over the Lusso ones by some degree, just not sure how much

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've checked with my insurance and it is an astronomical £22.00 extra.:eek::D. So that's the insurance problem sorted, now do I or don't I? I phoned my local alfa main stealers at lunch time today to price springs & they quoted me the same price as the alfa workshop + vat so I'd definitely be staying away.

Looking at the other lowered thread the drops aren't really any different except at the front. We get decent snow in our part each year. This year the snow wasn't as much and my m sport BMW was acting as a snow plough. The alfa certainly appears lower again. Decision decisions!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
If you're anything like me the cracked rear spring turned into Eibach springs from a cost vs benefit perspective, then it was a case of "while all 4 struts are off, you may as well..." Turned into the bilstein a going on at the same time! Total investment = £800 parts and fitting but worth every penny! It's transformed the ride into something special!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I have just bought the car and have several other items I need to change so dampers are not an option. I'll have spent over £1000 before I'm finished and that's just parts. I got the car at a price accordingly though. I'm pretty much set on going for the Eibach's now but Alfisti don't have a delivery option to Northern Ireland which is strange as it would normally be a similar price as the UK mainland.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
but Alfisti don't have a delivery option to Northern Ireland which is strange as it would normally be a similar price as the UK mainland.
I got a ARB kit and undertray from them to NI. Was very quick and really reasonably priced (can't remember how much though but I think it is UK option). Good company to deal with in my experience.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've just placed an order with the Alfa workshop and also with Alfisiti totalling nearly £700 :cry:

It will be worth it in the end though :thumbs: I've bit the bullet and ordered the Eibach's.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Well, I've just placed an order with the Alfa workshop and also with Alfisiti totalling nearly £700 :cry:

What did you buy? springs are only 150 :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts