Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

A brand new member here, hoping to get my hands on a new 159 Ti Sportwagon soon and need some help with a bit of a techy question regarding sunroofs

I am set on getting a Ti and yet really would like to have the sunroof option which I believe is now on the factory options list.

Now having wasted far too much time hoping to find one in a dealer that I can sample, I am turning to your good selves for assistance.

I am 6' 2 1/2" and am concerned with the headroom affect of having the electric roof fitted as there is not a huge amount to play with. Much better in a Ti than the standard 159 due to the lower seating position, but still not a huge amount

I do not wish to place an order for such a car only to find out that my head now hits the roof.

Either can somebody let me know how much headroom you lose with a factory fit item or even better if anyone out there has a 159 Ti ( saloon or Sportwagon ) with such an option that's not a million miles from Southampton or London that I could possibly try out for size before commiting that would be excellent

Hope I get as much use from this site as I do my other car related forum, and look forward to talking with you more in the coming months ( assuming I fit in the new car that is)

Thanks in anticipation

Andy (Moose)

N

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AO!

From memory, most factory sunroofs drop the ceiling
by 1 1/2 - 2 inches. (The 147 does)

Don't know why they don't use metal tilt 'n' slide-out
ones that don't reduce headroom. :rolleyes:

Cool option though. :cool:

Electric seats allegedly don't go as low as manual
ones if you think you'll have headroom issues.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm 6"2 and have no issues with headroom (electric seats and sunroof). moreover I dont think it lowers the roof at all, as the standard roof has a lot of soundproofing, but actually if you open the sunblind you'll gain a few inches :)

you'll lose the sunglasses holding compartment if you go for the sunroof :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
We've had similar questions about headroom in the Brera with manual or electric seats. Whether you are long or short in the body makes a big difference to headroom. Some folk 6ft plus have had headroom issues whilst others the same height haven't. Try before you buy - if you can find one.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Welcome:thumbs: With climate control, I'm genuinely surprised that people still want sun roofs.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Hmmm I'm under 6 foot and I am quite close with no sunroof and my leccy seats.

With the standard seats in my old 159 there was mega room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've a 57 plate 159 JTDM lusso with electric sun roof. It doesnt have much impact on headroom. In fact with the blind open you could argue that you have more headroom. The only negative is a rattle which of course has stopped now i've threatened my car with its first service! Sunroof is great though - works well and opens fully (along with all the windows) if you keep the key fob pressed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have a 159 ti with factory fit sunroof. My dad was in it a few weeks ago and he is 6 3 and i had to open the louvre to get him in. While his head was not touching the glass it was not comfortable for him.

Hope this helps

C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a 159 ti with factory fit sunroof. My dad was in it a few weeks ago and he is 6 3 and i had to open the louvre to get him in. While his head was not touching the glass it was not comfortable for him.

Hope this helps

C

Thanks a lot for all your comments folks

Not much further though towards making a decision

CSOD28, any chance you could do me a really big favour, and measure from the seat base to the headlining on your Ti with the seat in the fully wound down position. Are your seats manual or electric ?

Anyone else with a Ti and sunroof I can sit in for 3 mins ?

Happy to travel although Dublin may be a bit too far.

Cheers

Moose

·
Registered
123 Posts
Would your local dealer not have a 159 with sunroof. I've one if you're in the Shannon region!

BTW, there's bugger all room if you're even a couple of inches under 6' in the back seat. I don't think I've ever sat back there come to think of it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would your local dealer not have a 159 with sunroof. I've one if you're in the Shannon region!

BTW, there's bugger all room if you're even a couple of inches under 6' in the back seat. I don't think I've ever sat back there come to think of it!
They are still not too common but sitting in a standard 159 will not really achieve what I am after

The problem is that when I sat in a standard 159 it felt a little claustrophobic compared to the Ti which has seat you sit in rather than on.

Now this may have something to do with electric / non electric seats, but at the time I paid little or no attention to this ( I will next time )

I am just fearful that if I order a 159 with a sunroof then even with the lower seats in the Ti then that feeling of being a little squashed in will return

Thanks for the offer, but Shannon is probably a bit too far also in this instance

Moose

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine's a Lusso with elec seats and sunroof, which, if the other info is correct, should be the worst case scenario!

I'm fine, but then I'm only 5'10".

You're welcome to try mine for size sometime - if it's ok, then a Ti with standard seats should be too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got an 07 Ti Wagon, and am 6'3" and a bit.

I know I need a haircut when I can feel my hair touching the roof lightly!!

It is very close, for sure, but I'd be an inch or so taller than you perhaps. It will also depend on how upright you like the seat back. I prefer quite upright so am closer to the roof than someone who likes to recline a bit more.

HTH
David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine's a Lusso with elec seats and sunroof, which, if the other info is correct, should be the worst case scenario!

I'm fine, but then I'm only 5'10".

You're welcome to try mine for size sometime - if it's ok, then a Ti with standard seats should be too.
Cheers for that, there are times when being 6' plus are a real pain in the jacksy.

I now have Alfa Romeo's customer services dept on the case also

Let's see who comes up trumps first, Alfa Owners or AR themselves

Cheers

ps I am in lovely Wales next week on holiday so maybe I'll pop in on my way home ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, mine's a 159 Lusso (non elec seats). I'm 6ft and I can sometimes feel the roof touching my hair if I have the seat too upright. Opening the tray is no use unless you keep your neck at 45 degrees!
Biggest problem is in the back, I'd have to keep my head back on the headrest or it'll be stuck in the roof, thankfully I don't sit back there.
By the way my sunroof takes occasional fits of the creaks/rattles - can't figure out how to stop it - then it goes away for maybe a week!

Best of luck with the purchase - I'd make sure you try before you buy.
Edit - just noticed that its a sportwagon you're interested in...isn't the roof of that a little higher than the saloon?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andy, the Guildford Alfa garage had a brand new 159 with a sunroof in their showroom only 2 weeks ago. Ring them and see if it is still there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts