Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not posted in a long time since selling my 156 SW last year and buying a 2.4 SW 159. Had no problems at all. My serious issue is that my 159 was nicked in west london 2 weeks ago and physically driven away while me an my family where at a wedding, when the key was in my pocket, how is that possible???

Car was locked etc etc, the nearest CCTV camera clearly shows the car moving in a car park, but no CCTV of the car before it moved.

Insurance sorting it out, it has not been recovered yet.

My question is, how is it possible to steal a 159 without the key and drive off???

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Wow - not good:(

No idea how they could bypass the deadlock or start it though:confused:

Was it towed?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Could it be some sort of scam?

Was it bought new or used? Did it only come with one key? Maybe there was a key you didn't know about that some kept back.....

Long shot, but cars are pretty hard to steal these days.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
someone scanned the frequency of your key when you locked it and then used it to unlock it with a programmed key ?

that's pure guess work on my part but keys all work off some form of frequency transmission

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
someone scanned the frequency of your key when you locked it and then used it to unlock it with a programmed key ?

that's pure guess work on my part but keys all work off some form of frequency transmission
I hope it's not that easy. The price and difficulty of programming in a new key suggests it isn't.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts

That would certainly work for the unlocking, making it able to be pushed/towed maybe. But the actually starting is from the transponder in the actual key, so it wouldn't work.
Odd though. Wonder if there is a way of getting the figures for 159 thefts over recent years, finding out what the numbers and reasons look like.

·
Registered
787 Posts
go 2 the main dealers with a logbook for your car, and tell them u lost a key and they will issue u with a new key.... for this to work u need some1 working in the dvla office to issue u a logbook for your car...i aint done this but when your 19 u hear about these things lol

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
If someone had access to the dealership, they could nick then copy your key. DO inform your dealer in full, they may have a problem - could be the cleaner for instance. Pretty sure one of the cleaners in my office a few jobs back skimmed my credit card when I was working late one night and left my wallet on my desk for 15 mins... :eek:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Do you have both keys - and did both keys work.......

The key cant be programmed, or purchased in fully working order the car is programmed to accept 2 keys only (when you add 2, ir deletes the old 2)- and the keys only transmit the unlock command, the car is started by reading the keys code when its in the slot, it doesnt transmit this code.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I presume you were parked somewhere where you have never been before as you say you were at a wedding. In which case whoever nicked it would not have known in advance that you would be there, so therefore it has to be an opportunist and not someone who has scammed a key off you in the past (unless they follow you around :eek:).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for responses so far, answers of questions raised.

159 is owned outright.
The 159 was in the car park 18 hours before it was nicked.
It was physically driven, and I mean driven not towed as their was no car in front of it.
I have all keys.
Supplied by the oldest Alfa Dealer in the UK.
I am the second owner.
1st owner was dealer as demo.
Bought with 8k on clock

Work mate said to me that the 159 ignition circut is the same as a Vauxhall Vectra or Fiat Croma. Is this true, cos I got no idea.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
go 2 the main dealers with a logbook for your car, and tell them u lost a key and they will issue u with a new key.... for this to work u need some1 working in the dvla office to issue u a logbook for your car...i aint done this but when your 19 u hear about these things lol
This happens and often. :eek:
I was talking to a friend who works in insurance last night and the way they do it is very clever. Not going to reveal it in public though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You mean like from "Gone In 60 Seconds".......:lol:
Not a quote to use that often, but a quote not quite as defined as that as far as the Metropolitian Police are concerned, as its gone is 2m 56 secs evey day a vehicle is stolen or attempted to be stolen in London alone.

Plod did say in Putney, your not the 1st victim with this model type sir, which means to me that their are other 159 Ti owners who have been had as well.

Plus point of the S****y day were the RAC, who managed to get a Fiat Bravo rental to get us home 260 Miles away.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This happens and often. :eek:
I was talking to a friend who works in insurance last night and the way they do it is very clever. Not going to reveal it in public though.
If they are that clever, then if I live in Cheshire, bought from a dealer in Cheshire, but car nicked in London, how does that work. If you do not want to disclose, then pls PM me, as I am sure the London Metro Police would like to know.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
If they are that clever, then if I live in Cheshire, bought from a dealer in Cheshire, but car nicked in London, how does that work. If you do not want to disclose, then pls PM me, as I am sure the London Metro Police would like to know.
Oh trust me, the police already know about the scam.
It's not relevant to how your car was stolen though I don't think.

I feel for you - I had my 166 stolen in November and the insurance have only just agreed to pay out. Hope you either get the car back or get a decent settlement to get another. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I normally cover over the VIN on my cars but on the 159 it appears to be etched onto the outside of the windscreen. I always have the suspicion that if you know the VIN someone out there could make a key. 18 hrs is a long time :(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Not good to hear :( Not an awful lot to be done if theyre able to DRIVE the thing away.
Lets hope the insurers don't play silly buggers and pay out quick.

Might be worth explaining if there are any obvious markings/modifications on the car so we can spot it if it comes back into circulation with another reg plate showing. Lots of dealers on AO too so they could spot it if it comes their way.

Think they'd be hard pressed to clone my car after all the work Ive had done... :lol:

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.