Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if you can help?

I have a 159 Ti that had an issue with a rear caliper last year. The caliper was replaced with a refurb, but the guy at the MOT station this year is telling me that the caliper was replaced with an incorrect caliper.

What i'm being told is that the caliper that was put on the car was for vented disks and the caliper I need is for non vented disks and although very similar and the pads have fitted in, they are close to falling out of the holder.

I have had to leave the car with him and he advised that I see if I can find another refurb one, but as they looks so similar, I am worried I may end up with the wrong one.

Firstly, would anyone be able to supply me with the correct part # for what I need; not that any I can find appear to be listed with part #'s

Secondly; does anyone know of any rear offside calipers for sale?

Regards,

Stephen

·
Registered
500 Posts
Now I’m not an expert but I wouldn’t have thought that vented and non vented discs required different callipers, provided they were the same size of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very questionable repair shop apparently, putting you and others in traffic into dangerous situation by messing up the brake system. Brakes may look like a simple device to service, but you need to know what you're doing. Working for a company that a.o. is one of world largest manufacturer of brake pads, I learned that there's an awful lot of engineering behind those "just simple" looking disc brake systems. High precision manufacturing it is.

In your case the pistons might be able to travel further than they were designed to do. Fall out or get stuck when they ar supposed to travel back when you release the pedal. Just because of the less thick disc sitting in the middle of the two pads in your situation. I wonder how many MOT testers would have picked this up, as sometimes it is hard to see without taking of a wheel first (what's usually not done for MOT only, not here at least).

If you send me a PM of your VIN, I can run it through ePer to find you the OEM part number of the correct caliper that ought to be on.

When you buy a refurb or used caliper, have it inspected after fitting on putting out equal braking force L+R. This makes part of the MOT test.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Alfa catalogue lists 10 different assemblies for the rear axle only (2WD and 4WD)

Left side of mine (2WD - Ti version)
Caliper: 77364523
Bracket: 77364524
Full brake assembly (caliper, bracket incl. bolts + pads, spring retainers, dust bellows, etc.): 735483687

Otherwise try this OEM part finder to cross-link yours:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Forget about the L.-side part numbers above. I made a mistake, not at all used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Should try it once ;)

Anyway, I will look up by your VIN the off-side for your car = R.-side (which is passenger side on mine)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts