Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having done some reading on here im still confused as to how to replace my fluid on my 159 ti. I was just gonna use standard dot 4 and the old topping up the fluid method untill new fluid is at each nipple but im readimg about the abs pump needing activated.
Any help or info would be apperiated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having done some reading on here im still confused as to how to replace my fluid on my 159 ti. I was just gonna use standard dot 4 and the old topping up the fluid method untill new fluid is at each nipple but im readimg about the abs pump needing activated.
Any help or info would be apperiated.
I have replaced 2 weeks ago the brake fluid, used dot 4 motul-rbf-600-05l.
First i have take off some old fluid from the container with a syringe, make sure that you not pump all the old oil from the container, you dont want air in your system.
Started from the rear left wheel, then the front left wheel, same i did in the other side.
Also i have used plastic pipe and Coca Cola bottle to taking out the old fluid.
After i did the replacement my brake pedal got harder.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used a Gunsons bleeding kit which is pressurised slightly by air from the spare tyre. Cheap as chips and works a treat. Had it for years, great buy :)

Be gentle with the bleed nipples, they have a tendency to sheer of if corroded in the bore.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
For road use bog standard dot 4 will be fine, I do it the old fashioned way with a brake bleeding bottle and someone pumping the pedal but with the ignition on so the abs valves are open.
As said above, if it hasnt been done for a while be carefull with tne bleed nipples, loosen them back and for gently and remember that there is 2 bleed points per caliper on the front.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Dot 4 is what we use. Beware the Dot 5 that doesn't absorb water and therefore needs changing every couple of months. Dot 4 should be changed every year to prevent boiling under heavy braking (because the absorbed water is turning to steam).

Make sure you push the pads right back to expel all the fluid in the pistons. If you don't do this the new fluid runs straight past and into your waste system leaving the old stuff to boil under braking at the hottest part of the system.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Serviced mine as per above old method (1 in the car, 1 at each caliper starting from RR, LR, FR an finally LF. As already mentioned first empty the reservoir as much as possible before refilling and starting to bleed each caliper. No need to do something on the ABS.)

Don't forget to take along the clutch slave cylinder (on top of the gearbox). Can be tricky to bleed, but don't be in panic if your pedal first falls to the bottom. Matter of carefully bleeding and if at hand using a vacuum hand-pump.

(Latter aren't much useful for anything else as normally you'll be sucking air alongside the thread of the bleeding screw, instead of air inside your brake system.)

I used Até SL6 (almost blank colored dot 4 variant; blended especially for modern brake systems) about 20K kilometers back. No issues to report.

Last tip: don't postpone and certainly don't overtighten the bleeding screws. In particular the aluminium versions of the front calipers can seize up surprisingly when driving on salty roads.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts