Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads ,

I'm currently stuck in a shopping center as my 159 TBI is refusing to start. Yesterday I hadf a bit of an issue starting it as well , I was hearing a clicking in the engine bay passenger side and the key just kept clicking as well...after about ten minutes the car turned over and I didn't have an issue for the rest of the day.

Took her out this morning and was fine , stopped on the way back for a coffee and then she was dead.

I've recently had the battery and the altinator replaced so issue doesn't seem to be coming from there , it takes the key and other electronics work it just won't turn over , when I press the button it does nothing and I can't hear any clicking in the engine bay today either.

I plugged in the ECU reader and got code P0134 for 02 sensor fault but would this effect the car starting?

One thing I'm not hearing is when I put the key in I usually hear the fuel pump whirring before start up, I'm not hearing that.

Any help appreciated guys! I've finished my coffee I'm frustrated now :titanic:

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Or a loose battery or bad earth connection, if the battery termnals are tight try removing, cleaning and refitting the battety earth cable, you'll need a 13mm socket and extension, there is another earth under the battery tray but that needs the battery and tray removing to get to.
Or if you have jump leads with you put one from the battery negative to somewhere metal n the engine and try it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads , Where about's is the battery earth cable?

This might actually make sense as intermitently it's been throwing up faults and clearing them (Fuel gause to zero etc, loss of power etc) , I have jump leads back at the house in the 166 could go grab them.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you can loosen the bolt just wiggling it and retightening it will probably do for now to get you home, if it is that of course.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The clicking sound - Sounds to me like the earth strap may of not been grounded to the cars body work correctly after the battery and alternator was installed.
You could try a voltmeter on the terminals to see if the car has over 12 volts before running the engine and if you get it started check again to see if you are getting more than 14 volts.
The main culprit with the earth strap seems to be the connection to the gearbox from what I’ve read over the years..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So update , no luck so far.

I cleaned the earth cable at the front of the battery to the body and it was a little corroded but hasn't made a difference to getting it started unfortunately. I also checked the fuses but couldn't locate the relay for the starter motor...

So she's still there , no clicking coming from the engine now just the clicking from the key when I press the button.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took that off and had a look through the diagram but couldn't see a fuse for the starter motor on it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had similar problems with my 159, mine have always started eventually though. Talked with the garage and they mentioned two things.
1. Faulty brake light connection. Have someone check if your brake lights are working properly.
2. There is a white connector under the steering wheel. Try pulling it out/pushing it back in a few times. You'll need to remove the cover to gain access to said connector.

Please update the thread when you know more as I'm extremely interested in what the fault might be...

·
Registered
270 Posts
1. Put it a high gear 3 or 4, clutch up, ignition off, release hand brake and move the car forward until you feel engine compression resistance, usually a couple of feet is sufficient.. Now try to start it. You could have a sticking/ danaged tooth on the ring gear of the flywheel that the starter motor is jamming on. Pushing the car in a higher gear will move the flywheel round further to a healthy tooth.

2. Get a long screwdriver and hammer. Use a jack and axle stand to gain access and give the starter motor a hefty tap with the screwdriver and hammer on the smaller starter motor solenoid (smaller cylinder with a thick wire attached)
Sometimes a solenoid which uses magnetic operation to engage can sometimes stick and not mesh with the starter motor itself, thus just a click....

3. If the car starts as normal but just inexplicably cuts out when warm and refuses to start afterwards, then you have a faulty crank position sensor... Often difficult to get to but usually only one bolt fitment and a multi plug to deal with.
This is a little more tricky to diagnose as the CPC is linked to the ECU and immobiliser in reference to cutting of the fuel pressure, thus no fuel pump charging sound. Because the engine management system has no reference point as to what the crank position is in relation to the cams, it shuts off the starting proceedure via the fuel rail to prevent possible damage.... Now, this is where it can be a little confusing.... On older alfa's the engine would just crank and crank and crank over without a hope in hell's chance of starting. You would leave it to cool down and presto! It would fire up at the first twist of the key!
However... The 159 has a stop/start button that has a lot more interference from the immobiliser aswell as the fuel rail in its job. So it is a strong candidate that the Crank position sensor may be at fault and preventing the immobiliser from disengaging thus just the solenoid click.

Try 1 and 2 first, 1 is free and takes a couple of minutes, 2 is free but more of a pain. 3. will cost you £25-50 diy but best to get your codes read first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd bet anything that it's the starter relay. Probably integrated into the starter (most of the time). You more than likely need a new starter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right lads , quick update on this one. I did try the jump lead as an additional earthing point but that didn't seem to do anything.

I couldn't get at the earth in front of the battery very well as there are cables in the way making it very hard to get a socket down there to get it out , so I got some sanding paper rolled up and rubbed as much of the corrosion away as I could. To properly get at it I'd have to remove the relay and fuse box which I didn't want to be doing in a carpark.

Once I did that I started getting a click again from the battery side and after a few minutes she eventually turned over and I got it started. I got her home and turned it off and on a few times , she started but it sounded weak.

Also a bit of a buzzing noise coming from the engine (Altinator) I'm guessing I had a new one put in a few weeks ago which broke down within a week , got send back and bearings were worked on I think it might be gone again.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The earth bolt is a bit fiddly to get to but you should be able to get on it without removing anything unless the tbi has things in a different place, once you know the connection there is good you can rule it out. There is another earth to the engine but thats right under the battery so the battery and tray needs to come out to get to it.Or you could just fit another cable untill you get chance to take it apart, I fitted one from the battery earthing point to a cam box bolt, a 60cm cable was about £5 on ebay.

Did you try using a jump lead as a temporary earth from the battery to the engine? Thats the easiest way to diagnose an earth problem

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The battery terminals MUST be properly tightened-up good, not just finger tight. The difference and result can be unbelievable.
I had exactly what you had with a previous car (also an Alfa) - all clicking and no action.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts