Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I've noticed that my 159 has a very slight creak, which seems to be coming from the nearside rear area. I suspect it's something to do with the rear suspension but wondered whether anyone could maybe point me in the right direction?

It's a 2009 1750 TBi with 76k on the clock. The nearside rear spring has been replaced by the previous owner. I'm wondering whether this might account for the creaking? It's barely noticeable, it doesn't knock and there is nothing loose, but it's there and I'd like to try to get it sorted. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any poly bushes on the back end? They can creak when they dry out my front lower arms used to especially in the cold
I would have thought so... I'm due to have some Eibach springs fitted in the next few weeks, so I'll ask the garage to check at the same time. It's definitely more of a creak than a knock which in my (very limited) knowledge is better

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
never understand why people wouldn't replace springs in pairs....

it might be an ARB bush (though when mine went it knocked rather than creaked). could also be a drop link I guess, though I'd expect more of a clunk than a creak there too.

·
Registered
142 Posts

it might be an ARB bush (though when mine went it knocked rather than creaked). could also be a drop link I guess, though I'd expect more of a clunk than a creak there too.
Same, being tight is no excuse!

From past experience with creaks I suspect it's a bush that has dried out. Sometimes you can get away with greasing them but 9 times out of 10 you will probably need to end up replacing them. Not a big issue, more of an annoyance if it's knocking that's another matter!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me neither... It seems logical to do both at the same time, especially when the factory fitted 159 Ti rear springs aren't exactly known for their strength and reliability! I should say here though that I'm only guessing that one side has been replaced and not the other, and I'm basing this on the fact that the nearside rear sits about 10mm higher than the offside.

I'm due to have some Eibach springs fitted in the near future so I'll get everything checked over then. At the moment, the creaking is so quiet it's barely noticeable and there is no knocking...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts