Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 159 SW TBI about year ago in Germany with mileage 32000km, produced in 2009. Now its 49000km. Average consumption is aroung 16,8 mpg(computer shows that)! I rarely drive in traffic, but most of my trips are short and in city. Usual consumption for trip in city 13-14mpg, consumption in trip(not heavy!) about 11mpg.
I live in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. There is no service which can explain and fix it. Before this car I had 156 SW 1,8 140PS with average consumption 23,5 mpg.

Can you suggest a solution to this situation?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't drive like a maniac but usually crawling in traffic. Occasionally I'd get some open roads to run through the revs. My average is a ghastly 19.6. In fact, I recently did a cross country run with plenty of highways and still, I only managed 24. So I think I may also have a problem or it's just the characteristics of the engine.

Mileage is just over 10000 km and has had 2 oil changes already.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
16 mpg is a good figure as it's the same in l/100km and makes the maths easy!

This is the kind of consumption you'd see if you were high-speed cruising etc.

Otherwise it should be in the high-20s to low-30s mpg (~8-9 l/100km)

Could be a sensor problem. Air filter needs changing?

What grade of fuel do you have. (I always used 98 super unleaded. No grain alcohol rubbish. ;))

·
Registered
269 Posts
My average for city driving is around 18mpg and mixed gets up to around 26mpg. Note however that we do not enjoy your gas prices over here...

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,509 Posts
"Before this car I had 156 SW 1,8 140PS with average consumption 23,5 mpg."

This seems very low. HJ quotes 31.7 mpg for this engine. does the OP only have access to krap fuel? It is Russia.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Interesting point about the fuel. The Tbi engine will back off the mapping to suit a low quality fuel. Over here, I find BP gives me the best MPG but in reality a steady cruise at 70MPH will give me 33MPG. Where I suffer is my trips into London. 16 Miles at an average of 23MPG. The first 8 miles on a 3 lane fast road give 30MPG so you can figure the last 8 miles in stop start are pretty poor.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Mine averages 11L/100km. Too much beer in me now to convert to uk miles per gallon. Is this acceptable? it spends the week in 40km/h traffic for my 30km trip to work and 30km back and over weekends generally gets its legs stretched on long cruises at about 100km/h. 400km in the week and 250km over weekends.

·
Registered
36 Posts
49000km at 10 kph. thats. err about 4900 hours. or about 600 working days at 8 hrs a day, thats over 2 working years in the car to go not very far.
blimey. hope you find the seats comfy.
btw. we get about 20mph on short school run type journeys. all cold and stop/start, so about as bad as i thought it got.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
49000km at 10 kph. thats. err about 4900 hours. or about 600 working days at 8 hrs a day, thats over 2 working years in the car to go not very far.
blimey. hope you find the seats comfy.
btw. we get about 20mph on short school run type journeys. all cold and stop/start, so about as bad as i thought it got.
10km/h was a short trip of 7km. 49000 is overall mileage )

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes was a bit flippant on seeing the picture. i had in mind moscow traffic, and the 3+ hours you need to allow to get 50km out to the airport on a friday afternoon which isn't far of that sort of progress.

11mpg is pretty crazy bad. the worst we can do is about 17 and thats a whole month to say go 250 miles in just short journeys.
on the upside russian petrol is a lot cheaper than uk, even if it burns faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes was a bit flippant on seeing the picture. i had in mind moscow traffic, and the 3+ hours you need to allow to get 50km out to the airport on a friday afternoon which isn't far of that sort of progress.

11mpg is pretty crazy bad. the worst we can do is about 17 and thats a whole month to say go 250 miles in just short journeys.
on the upside russian petrol is a lot cheaper than uk, even if it burns faster.
I live in center of S-Petersburg and my trips usually are short and in the opposite direction of traffic. I'm sure, that fuel isnt a problem or solution. Anyway I refuel now car with 98 and will check whats goin on soon.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Having seen the image of the trip computer I did some recording on my way home to see the connection of average speed and consumption. It's almost a perfect match. My journey starts in very heavy traffic but opens up so I get an increasing average speed. It finishes at 16 miles and 23MPG

Av Spd Consumption
8 MPH 15MPG
10MPH 17MPG
12MPH 19MPG
16MPH 23MPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts