Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I have my 159 TBi since february'12. When the engine is cold (I mean not run for at least 8 hours) and I start the engine it usually stabilizes (after 2-3 seconds) at 800 rpm. When the engine is warm the idle speed is very similar: 750 rpm. But now when we enjoy summer temperatures the cold start has changed. Now the idle speed just after the start is 1200 rpm.
When the engine gets some temperature the idle returns to normal 750 rpm - it takes about 1 minute.
When I start it on a cold day, I mean below 17C, the cold start idle is 800 rpm as it was before.. Another summer day, 25C and the idle is 1200 rpm..
During my cold start I turn off any power demanding devices like A/C...
Has anybody have similar symptomns?
My dealer just did the ECU check - no problems detected..

Haw is cold start idle speed of your TBi engines?

Salutos
Vito

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I have my 159 TBi since february'12. When the engine is cold (I mean not run for at least 8 hours) and I start the engine it usually stabilizes (after 2-3 seconds) at 800 rpm. When the engine is warm the idle speed is very similar: 750 rpm. But now when we enjoy summer temperatures the cold start has changed. Now the idle speed just after the start is 1200 rpm.
When the engine gets some temperature the idle returns to normal 750 rpm - it takes about 1 minute.
When I start it on a cold day, I mean below 17C, the cold start idle is 800 rpm as it was before.. Another summer day, 25C and the idle is 1200 rpm..
During my cold start I turn off any power demanding devices like A/C...
Has anybody have similar symptomns?
My dealer just did the ECU check - no problems detected..

Haw is cold start idle speed of your TBi engines?

Salutos
Vito
Mine's the same - only goes to 11-1200rpm occasionally, and as you say it seems to be on hot days

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing!

I even took it to the alfa dealership to get it checked because it made no sense to me why it does it when it is hot but doesn't when it is cold.
They could not answer it but told me that there are no errors and it is fine as it is. :confused:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The engine will maintain the same speed where it idles smoothly during the first minute of warm-up. This gets stored in the ECU as the cold start trim. When the air is warmer, the amount of fuel results in a higher idle speed. There is nothing wrong with the system, it is just using the cold start idle fuel trim setting stored in the ecu.

If you were to reset the ecu correctly, it will behave differently but when winter comes you might end up with an engine running too lean and not pulling smoothly when cold. My car is doing this now, since my turbo replacement in january *(which is when us below the equator have summer) and ecu reset which followed. My car now during winter starts up quite easily, idles at 750rpm but for the first minute it will not easily pull from below 1500rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May be it's nothing to be warry about, as you guys suggest.
But anyway, I still think it's odd.. In my opinion ECU should reduce the amount of fuel, when outside tempereature is warm enough..
On really cold winter days, when it was -10C the cold start idle was about 1200 (like now in summertime), but in temperatures between -5C and +15 the time cold start idle was 800 rpm - every time..
My previous cars always had a little higher cold start iddle speed. It is my 159 TBi which usually have it only at 800rpm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
After reading this thread I thought I would check mine.
Went out on Sunday around 1pm when it was really hot.
Before pulling away it was revving at ~1200RPM.
Was back to normal after a couple of minutes of driving.
Given it seems to be the same with everyone else, I'm not going to worry about it. This is the UK, it'll be cold again soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts