Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd let you know I have had a problem with a knocking / tapping noise from the rear of my 159 for some time now. I checked all the usual stuff on the forum; people have experienced problems with loose wheel arch covers etc.

Anyway the problem seems to have been resolved by Meridien Milano in Bournemouth. The car went in a couple of weeks ago and underwent an elimination process; linkages, bushes etc were checked to no avail. The Technician ordered some new shock absorbers. It went back today & the problem seems to have been resolved with the fitment of new shock absorbers.

Apparently there is some sort of fault with the mechanism within the strut on some of the shocks supplied to Alfa.

Hope this helps....:p

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
You sure they didn't just let your mate out of the boot?:p

Just kidding, info like that is great to stick in the back of your mind in case it happens here, thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made them replaced two times under warranty because of the knocks at the rear on the potholes on the road - still same irritating noise.

could you tell what kind of mechanism is wrong with the shock-absorbers? is it something with the LOT numbers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also can you please advise whether this tapping / knocking occured mainly in low speeds or high speeds or both??

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had this with my 159 and the shocks were replaced and now quiet. This was done under warranty and with no prompting from me by Medway Autos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I don'k know what the precise problem was with the shock but I imagine it was something to do with the valves, maybe they were loose or there was a problem with the piston rod.

The tapping was noticeable at all speeds but got much worse when I had 3 passengers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts