Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help me make a tough decision. My 159 sw failed it mot. It needs n/s and o/s front rear bushes and two coil springs n/s rear and o/s front. I have been quoted £520 for this, does this sound reasonable? Should i go for powerflex bushes? Upgrade the springs also maybe all of them? Any other cost effective upgrades worth doing while this work is being done? The car has done 140k it was 4 years since last cambelt and all for tyres are worn and will need replacing soon. It is also due a service. It could do with a few pounds spending on the bodywork too. All in all i worked it out at about £1750 for all work. Is it worth spending this on an 07 car with this mileage? Any other car and i would trade it in but it is a great car which i still really enjoy now(its my 5th Alfa). i know i would get peanuts for it, so its hard to let it go. Should i keep it or trade it for another Alfa obviously. All helpful advice greatly recieved.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep saying that to myself what could i get to replace it. Having the 1.9 jtdm I wish for more power or character from the engine. If i had a different engine it would make my decision easier. Maybe im being harsh on the 1.9 150bhp. I cant imagine changing it for something non Alfa. So that leaves a brera or a 159 ti with a bigger engine, not easy to find! Really want to scratch the brera itch at some point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would have a look at the classifieds, if you can find another 159 that you like, preferability with 12 months MOT that is about the same as what you could sell yours + £1750 then you might be better off doing a swap.

Having said that, it is often better to fix the devil you know.

I'm in the process of doing a load of suspension work on mine. New springs all round, upper and lower front wishbones, brakes etc etc parts along is about £650 and i'll do the work.

But at least I know the only real big things to do are the clutch, DPF and gearbox at some point....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks for advice. It is a dilemma wether to stick or swap but like you say you know what has been done to the car. What springs and bushes are you using? I have two springs that need replacing but is it worth upgrading them all? Could i lower the car if i change just the springs?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
As above, get the eibachs and will improve the ride on the car (as well as protecting against future spring breakages). You could also consider Bilstein b4s at the same time, it shouldn't cost any more in work time, at 140k your dampers are probably a bit tired.( alfisti.net have great prices but someone also mention TMC Motorsport based in n. Ireland )

Buy new and you won't 'know' the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice thanks, it is really making the choices i have to make a lot easier. Would you recommend using the powerflex bushes, as the garage I use said they are using none oem ones, will they last? Was quoted £400 to fit each genuine alfa full lower arm ouch! Just wary of cutting corners by just replacing bushes then having to do the same job 12 months later. I have found the eibach springs for £165 delivered next day on amazon. It does not state the vehicle but ive been trying to match part numbers from other sites. The product code is e10 10 005 03 22 does this seem right for a 07 1.9 jtdm 159 sw? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Great advice thanks, it is really making the choices i have to make a lot easier. Would you recommend using the powerflex bushes, as the garage I use said they are using none oem ones, will they last? Was quoted £400 to fit each genuine alfa full lower arm ouch! Just wary of cutting corners by just replacing bushes then having to do the same job 12 months later. I have found the eibach springs for £165 delivered next day on amazon. It does not state the vehicle but ive been trying to match part numbers from other sites. The product code is e10 10 005 03 22 does this seem right for a 07 1.9 jtdm 159 sw? Thanks again.

This is where we all go:

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-159/Suspensions:::1_315_321.html

€122+ €18 delivered (£112) for the Eibach

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

1 - 10 of 10 Posts