Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my car gets tailgated by someone on EVERY journey.
It's not my driving style as other people who've driven it confirm that it instils the same reaction and often. My lady's Audi doesnt get this. It doesn't matter how fast you drive! Geography is not an issue either. A lot of the time it's van drivers (no surprise) but it's usually volume brands of vehicle.
The 159 is a beautiful looking prestige vehicle with an agressive waistline. As an estate it doesn't look much like one. I don't get why I get the same thing everytime I go out. People always try to get past it. In my experience my car is faster than all but the special stuff, but I got bored trying to outrun people like this ages ago. Maybe it's badge envy or the fact that they don't know what kind of car it is? I get raced at lights a lot too!!! All the time. Weird. Are they trying to get a 360° view of my bella? See the rear mirror view?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not had this in other brands of car. Maybe it's a voodoo Alfa thing. Let them, I say. I'm enjoying me little self!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think its people who feel that they have to prove that thier car is better than yours and justify thier sorry excuse for a car purchase, every minor win will give them a confidence boost that they really are so much better than everyone else....

·
Registered
34,361 Posts
I think some cars look further away by virtue of looking larger than life and cool.Difficult to explain but those taillights are smaller than you think,somehow

·
Registered
559 Posts
159 sportwagon is a pretty thing, i'd just ignore them and enjoy driving one of the prettiest estates on the road.
My Alfa's constantly recieve positive comments from joe public, most comments are i always fancied one of those, its the lines etc.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's weird how different cars attract different responses from other road users. I find my grey Alfa GT is hassled more than my previous red 156. I've no idea why. The worst car I've ever driven was a dark blue Ford Fiesta and every man and his dog was trying to ram it. It didn't even belong to me - it was just loaned to me by a garage.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I get ALOT more cars trying to race me when Im driving my gf's Ford Fiesta - its crazy. The other day I was parked at the side of the road setting up my sat nav and a guy in a Fiesta ST pulls up next to me in the road, rags his engine a few times and then wheel spun off into the distance. Would like to meet him in the Alfa and wipe the smirk off his face!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hear hear (to all the above).
My woman's used it for work all week. She says it angers a lot of people. If it does then they're obviously the sort that generally make driving difficult so I reckon it's a good thing then.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was left for dead in my GT by 4 spotty youths in mummy's 1 litre VW Polo, I have to say I made no attempt at speeding off why lower myself to their level.
This does happen rather a lot I put it down to jealousy

G

·
0 Posts
As Meatloaf once said "Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are".
So ive been told, ive never actually listened to a Meatloaf song before, you understand!;)

·
Registered
34,361 Posts
I was left for dead in my GT by 4 spotty youths in mummy's 1 litre VW Polo, I have to say I made no attempt at speeding off why lower myself to their level.
This does happen rather a lot I put it down to jealousy
What was the response from their customer services?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
maybe it's because you drive VERY slowly? :lol:
As I said "it doesn't matter how fast you drive.." And other drivers of the car get this. and I don't get this in the Audi. It's something about the car.

As for rear view mirror opticals & objects appearing closer, I'm not Mr. Magoo!! They try and squeeze past.

The comment about the rear profile maybe valid.
It appears a smallish car from behind, compared to the length of the thing. Doesn't account for traffic light challenges though!

G

·
0 Posts
I get it all the time in my GT but i let them get on with it and take it easy, ive nothing to prove to anybody and dont want to risk my licence for anyone. If people are in too much of a rush or want to play thats their problem not mine.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Hee he! I have fun with this. On the final part of my drive home I go through a village, so stick to the posted 30mph, naturally, then in the 40, maybe a little over, when I get to the 50 limit, well thats about right for the road/conditions. Every now and then I'll get a German brand car right on my ass, I keep them there as there is no room for them to pass. At the next roundabout I, like most traffic, turn left onto an unrestricted (70mph) dual carriageway, I know the car behind is planning to pass me here!;)

I've been doing this trip now for 12 years, I know exactly how to time my approach to the roundabout to clear any cars from the right, I know exactly what gear to be in and I know exactly how much power (quite a lot!) I can put on in the bend out of the roundabout. Fact is, I dont think any car has ever embarrassed me out of that round about, by the time I'm passing 70, they are a good distance behind probably wondering where I have disappeared to. I just settle the car down to around 75 and let them eventually catch up and pass, after showing them whos boss that is. Arnt I childish!:lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts