Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 159 this week, and I'm spending a little time and money getting it back up to scratch.

The front suspension is squeaky over speed bumps. I gather this is quite characteristic of the car so I'm not too concerned, however is there a solution that works for people?

Also the left front side is slightly lower than the right. Looking at the history it had poly bushes early on in its life, however it had a new upper wishbone last month (which I gather comes with the bush), so should I look to get this changed? I very much doubt this would cause the ride height issue but will get the garage to look at whether the spring is seated properly after the recent suspension work.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
It may have all the bushes replaced with poly bushes, the uppers (iirc) are prone to squeking, there is a long running thread in here somewhere (use the search function), or speak to Ned at Autolusso who is a bit of an expert on them.
In terms of ride height, check the springs have not snapped (especially the rears, as are known to fail)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes it has receipts from AutoLusso for a full set of suspension bushes plus engine mounts. I was more worried that because the previous owner had a wishbone replaced to nurse it through its last MOT it may have lost a poly bush on one side only.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Also, if the struts have been out check that the one on the high side is fully seated in the lower socket. Does it have Bilsteins?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. There's nothing in the history to indicate it has Bilsteins, but one of the previous owners wasn't great at keeping receipts.

In fact I only know some of the history from that owner because I happened to notice the service stamps were from a dealer at which a friend works, so he pulled off the history of work they'd done.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Ok. If you take the wheel off on the high side you'll be able to see the socket that the strut fits in. Take a photo and I'll review it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. If you take the wheel off on the high side you'll be able to see the socket that the strut fits in. Take a photo and I'll review it.
Thanks. It's going into the garage on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it. If not though I'll definitely upload some pics.

If it's a snapped spring I'll just use it as an excuse to get some Bilsteins. :D

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Thanks. It's going into the garage on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it. If not though I'll definitely upload some pics.

If it's a snapped spring I'll just use it as an excuse to get some Bilsteins. :D
If it has a snapped spring it will be Eibach springs you will need

You are welcome to bring it in here for us to look at and we will be tell you what we have done to the car previously and what is best to do with the suspension

Ned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts