Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 159 sport wagon (1.9jtdm 150) WITHOUT roof rails. Looking for advice on fitting a roof box. Have read a few threads on here, but most links have expired.

The door seals are not very thick, so there seems to be very little space to fit anything?

1. Anyone know the roof weight limit for the car?
2. What is the best (cheap preferred) rails to get?

Anything else I need to consider?

Halfords adviser searched her system and said there is a thule fitting kit and choice of rails available, but I know halfords can be expensive and not always the best.

I found this site and set of kits, but they seem expensive:
https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-G...=without-roof-rails&modelYear=2006-plus&id=11

I'm perfectly happy to fit it myself, I just need to source the correct kit at a good price...

Help!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the same OEM bars as that eBay ad - really should get around to putting mine on eBay as well. They worked perfectly for carrying a huge Thule roofbox to France and back. The clamp hooks over the edge of the door opening, it's only thin steel at that point wrapped in plastic to avoid scratches. When the door is shut, the rubber seal just wraps around the foot of the bar clamp to maintain the seal.

Bit of wind noise when fitted but otherwise no complaints. They also only take a few minutes to fit or remove, so I only put them on when required.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh and what about the load weight limit of the car roof - I can't find anything in the manuals...

Cancel that question. I was looking in the wrong place. Its 80kg for the sportwagon (or 50kg with the alfa rack!).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thank you. Just to double check - these are for 159 sportwagons WITHOUT existing rails. ie. these bars fit directly onto the car roof?
99% sure but you'd need to double check with ebay seller.

They fit like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd recommend getting the Alfa branded ones rather than something like thule bars, especially if they will be left on the car and you are concerned about appearance.

Alfa ones look nice and curved compared to a universal type ugly square thing.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just get some cheap ones from eBay,

It's all well and good saying the Alfa ones look better, but at the end of the day they are going to have a bloody great big box fitted to them.
When they are not in use they should be in the shed not on the car.

I used cheap eBay universal ones on my saloon with no problems when carrying 2 kayaks (combined weight over 40Kg)

It takes seconds to remove them and about 10 minutes to fit them (thats extra time to make sure they are the right distance apart for whatever you are clamping to them, and then to make sure they are fitted nice and tight)

Axe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. We have had a change of plan and no longer need a roof box, but thanks for all the advice. A useful, short thread for anyone else who is thinking about roof bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts