Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am hoping someone can advise as to why my 2008 159, 1.9 TD has intermittent loss of low down power.

I recently drove the Alfa out of my driveway without any problems. I got to a road junction and stopped but as I pulled away the car choaked a couple of times then a complete loss of power. I managed to continue down the road in first gear, gas pedal to the floor at a maximum of 2000 revs. It wouldn't go any faster. Then the engine management light went on and the car started chugging. I abandoned the car. 2 hours later I collected the car and despite the engine management light remaining on, the car drove perfectly home?????????? So the problem is intermittent.

The engine problem occurs if you labour the engine below 2000 revs and try to accelerate. The engine then starts to chug/cough/splutter until it slowly reaches 3000 revs and the turbo cuts in. Then its fine and the Alfa powers away. So I don't think it can be the turbo.

The diagnostic machine spells out Air Flow meter and exhaust gas meter so I have had a new Air Flow meter fitted and the exhaust gas meter has been stripped and cleaned, but the problem continues so it cant be those two.

Could it be too much fuel being pumped into the engine or some electrical fault???

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had similar problems or know of a solution.

Many thanks. Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sorry kid, what's fes?:confused: Brain dead, of course its Friday...........
FES = Fiat ECU Scan software, for reading the CPU fault codes.

A clogged DPF should give you an engine warning light, which I'm assuming you don't have.

I know that you have cleaned the EGR valve, but is the actuator solenoid OK? Sounds very much like the symptoms I had recently, which was caused by that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FES = Fiat ECU Scan software, for reading the CPU fault codes.

A clogged DPF should give you an engine warning light, which I'm assuming you don't have.

I know that you have cleaned the EGR valve, but is the actuator solenoid OK? Sounds very much like the symptoms I had recently, which was caused by that.
Thanks Redmatt. I will get to it on Monday and report back. Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All fixed, combination of egr, air mass meter and DPF. Thanks everyone who gave advice.

Crookes can you e mail me? I may have a solution for you..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts