Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well it's been just under 2 years since I sold my 156 and got myself a Lexus 220d. Nice car but its time for change.

I'm after a 159 diesel sports wagon and from reading another thread the 2ltr is the one to go for?

I'm also fancying an auto this time.

I'd be great full for any extra advice. Also is there a place you can post a reg to see if its someone who posts on here they used to own the car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are you considering a re-map? There have been posts on here about slightly fragile manual transmissions on diesel 159s if you try to put too many horses through them, but would an auto be more robust? From memory, I think that's what Angeltune told me when they re-mapped a car for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you considering a re-map? There have been posts on here about slightly fragile manual transmissions on diesel 159s if you try to put too many horses through them, but would an auto be more robust? From memory, I think that's what Angeltune told me when they re-mapped a car for me.
Yeah will def be getting a remap. I've read that the DPF work around and remap is a must on 2.4 & 1.9?

Also holding out for a 2lt auto massively reduces my market.

Do the Autos hold their value?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
the 2.0d comes with the same manual box from the 2.4 (F40) and remapped gives around the same power as a standard 2.4 so there should be no gearbox related issues remapping the manual offering :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
the F40 box and the later turbo in the 210 bhp 2.4 seem to be stronger when it comes to remapping.
I don't know which turbo is in the 2.0...

I can only comment on the 2.4, I wish I got an auto. its such a big heavy car and the manual gearbox is a bit ragged and horrible... Also simply for the size and power of the car an auto is the smart move.

·
Registered
711 Posts
the F40 box and the later turbo in the 210 bhp 2.4 seem to be stronger when it comes to remapping.

I can only comment on the 2.4, I wish I got an auto. its such a big heavy car and the manual gearbox is a bit ragged and horrible... Also simply for the size and power of the car an auto is the smart move.
Hmmmm, I find the 'box to be really good? Mind you, coming from a big VXR where I used to go fishing a lot, perhaps everything is subjective!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit of a strange 1, but what's the sound system like? One thing with the Lexus is the Stereo is awesome!

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
393 Posts
How do you rate the 2.4 Qtronic? A lot of people say its a great car, but never having had an auto I am not sure. I see on here its possible to add a paddle change. Any views?
Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok so at the min I've done a full circle, been looking at X1 & X3s. Now there's a Q4 thats caught my eye. Is there anything inparticular to look for on these?

Did they do a diesel Q4? Seen one on Autotrader

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There are horror stories out there of the manual 1.9 gearbox being made of something very similar to the consistency of Dairy Lee, so just make sure when you test drive that there are no whines from the box and you should be okay. A Remap will put additional stress on this though.

Think carefully about going for an auto box - the economy suffers significantly on them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For what it's worth, I've a balanced performance/economy remapped and dpf-removed 2.4 wagon on a manual box. Absolutely no issues with the gear change, and it pulls very nicely - even for a heavy car. Economy's not too horrific - around 32 mpg mainly urban driving. Expect a good deal less on an auto. Gearbox on 2.4 is more robust than on the 1.9, so you can push a remap a bit more if performance is your bag.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
2.0 JTDm has a Garrett M12 turbo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm after a 159 diesel sports wagon and from reading another thread the 2ltr is the one to go for?

Did they do an Auto 2ltr diesel? I've been looking around for one for my parents and can't find any evidence that any were produced??

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Did they do an Auto 2ltr diesel? I've been looking around for one for my parents and can't find any evidence that any were produced??
I was looking on Parkers price guide where they list all the models by registration and they show Q-tronic available for the 1.9 and 2.4 diesels and the 3.2V6 petrol only. All the 2.0 diesels seem to be manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts