Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed it a bit yesterday:( Back with great vengeance this morning:rant:

Will give it a good squirt of silicone spray later today and see what happens. Sooo do not want to take it back to a dealer for this:rolleyes:

Will keep you posted:)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
My screen doesn't creak...:p

:lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure that it classifies as 'screen creak' but I so get some creaking from the rear view mirror unit every now and then....currently solved by 'giving it a bit of a wiggle'...but can only asume it'll get worse (and more annoying) over time.

My sympathies Squaddie....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure that it classifies as 'screen creak' but I so get some creaking from the rear view mirror unit every now and then....currently solved by 'giving it a bit of a wiggle'...but can only assume it'll get worse (and more annoying) over time.

Hey neighbour:thumbs:

Just dosed it with loads of Halfords rubber & nylon spray lubricant followed by some armour all protectant. Used my CIPD membership card to ease the gab between the roof and the screen.

Worked last time and lasted for months so fingers crossed this time:)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Not sure that it classifies as 'screen creak' but I so get some creaking from the rear view mirror unit every now and then....currently solved by 'giving it a bit of a wiggle'...but can only asume it'll get worse (and more annoying) over time.

Mirror's another of the more common niggles. One of two minor warranty claims on my car.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
My mirror doent creak (screen neither) but there was a wee noise one day from the mist sensor, I wiggled it and it stopped.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi
Today I finally got a new windshield after cracking it earlier :cool:

The experts at the glass repair shop told me they were absolutely shocked about the windshield on my new Ti; The original mounting of the shield was really bad, glue was missing or it was just a thin stripe of glue on long sections. They had never seen so bad mounting of a windshield.

The glass expert told me "If one of our employees had done such bad work, he would have been fired immidiately! No wonder You have had noise and creaks with this!"

This is quite shocking! No wonder many of us have problems with creaks!

However - now my car is quiet and fine :) But, maybe a refitting of the windshield could be a smart thing to do if the screen creaks..

Frode

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Today I finally got a new windshield after cracking it earlier :cool:

The experts at the glass repair shop told me they were absolutely shocked about the windshield on my new Ti; The original mounting of the shield was really bad, glue was missing or it was just a thin stripe of glue on long sections. They had never seen so bad mounting of a windshield.

The glass expert told me "If one of our employees had done such bad work, he would have been fired immediately! No wonder You have had noise and creaks with this!"

This is quite shocking! No wonder many of us have problems with creaks!

However - now my car is quiet and fine :) But, maybe a refitting of the windshield could be a smart thing to do if the screen creaks..

Frode

You are the second person I know of to have the same experience:rolleyes: Looks like I may have to get the problem sorted for real. PS. Has the amount of wind noise decreased??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took the car out for a ride to night - no noise :)

I also talked with mye dealer, and they told Alfa now is aware of the problem, and it should be solved for coming models. :thumbs:

Frode

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have my 159 2.2JTS since June and the windscreen has creaked since August.:rolleyes: From the forum I have heard 3 possible causes: 1) Metal retainers designed to keep windscreen in place during manufacture not removed by factory (has any a picture of these retainers?) 2) Seal requiring lubricant 3) Frodes info. that there is poor quality control in Pomigliano D'Arco resulting in insufficent windscreen cement being applied by factory. Has anyone the definitive answer as it seems a very common problem with the 159

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
The only cures seem to be either the lubricant between the winscreen seal and the roof or removing and re-placing the windscreen. I've heard about people having the support brackets removed and that making no difference.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My question is:confused:..what is the cause of the creaking noise? My 10 year old 155 bonded windscreen never creaked! Is it the brackets left in or is the poor application of windscreen cement facilitating too much windscreen movement and hence the noise?:( My dealer is suggesting the application of lubricant but this seems a temporary fix. Would be interested in Autolusso or an AR dealer view. I hope Frode is right when he says Alfa are aware of this annoying fault and the revised Pomigliano D'Arco will have this issue sorted.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Put silicon spray on mine and it stops the creaking. Although when cleaning the car last week I noticed a bullet hole right at the top of the screen so a new one may well be coming if/when it cracks.

Got to ask, how easy is it to obtain a new screen for a 159?

·
Registered
239 Posts
My TI started the creaking again so,it was out with the plastic card and 3in1 silicone spray again this morning.Would seem to occur every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
.... From the forum I have heard 3 possible causes: 1) Metal retainers designed to keep windscreen in place during manufacture not removed by factory (has any a picture of these retainers?) ....
Here are two pictures to show the location and the thing itself (2. picture ist not mine, but from someone from the german alfisti.net forum).

They're not metal but plastic. These pieces can be white or black. In my case they made the creaking sound worse and also developed a cracking sound themself. They were removed, before I knew about the main problem being the top windscreen seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The glass expert told me "If one of our employees had done such bad work, he would have been fired immidiately! No wonder You have had noise and creaks with this!"
people have been saying that about fiats for years, its a fiat tradition to use almost no sealant, especially at the top of the screen.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks Andreas, I think I'll check for to see if retainers are in place and if so remove them and see if the windscreen creaking disappears. This is a test for the promised improved quality from the Pomigliamo D'Arco plant, if the windscreens still creak in the post-March 08 cars it will not be a good omen.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Decided to try Silicone Spray first before looking to see if the "manufacturing retainers" were still in place as some trim over the windscreen scuttle must be removed first to do that job. Bought Halfords Silicone Lubricant for Rubber and Plastics (Yellow and Grey aerosol tin) for the job. Used plastic card to hold up rubber seal at the top of the windscreen while I brushed in lubricant having sprayed some into a container first. Result? Perfection, no more creaking noises although I am still curious as to what causes the noise in the first place as the rubber seal seems of good quality and fairly soft.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts