Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can someone kindly let me know the difference between driving the 159 saloon and sportswagon. I was planning on getting the 2.4 JTDM TI model.

I assume the saloon is much nicer to drive, but is the sports wagon comparable

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've had a bit of a drive in an SW and from that I couldn't tell any difference in the way they both drive. But to be fair I wasn't in it long enough to make a good comparison.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
I would only buy the SW if i had to transport stuff like a dog, or camping gear, or God forbid had a caravan, the SW looks good don't get me wrong, but unless you NEED an estate get the saloon it's 1 classy motor!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd think the saloon is "nicer to drive" ? :confused:

I have the SW and took a long test drive in the saloon. Both are identical as long as spec' is like for like. Weight/speed factors when empty are negligible.

I (and many other people) prefer the aesthetic look of the SW as it's less 'shark-like', more balanced with a smoother body shape. I really needed the SW because of the kids (9 and 2) and prams/scooters etc that wouldn't fit in the saloon. If this wasn't my need I would have still gone for the SW personally or a Brera perhaps....

....or I would've stayed celibate and saved for an 8C :p

N

·
0 Posts
Estates: For people who need a van, but can't quite admit it to themselves. ;)

:p

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
I never said it was nicer to drive??? I do like the look of the SW and agree it does not look so shark like, maybe that's why i like the saloon ..... for the Shark look, maybe it's just me!!
:D:
:inlove:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

I have the SW and took a long test drive in the saloon. Both are identical as long as spec' is like for like. Weight/speed factors when empty are negligible.
Agreed, I drove quite a few saloons, and ended up with a V6 SW - just as nice to drive :)

N

·
0 Posts
Estate. Break. Station Wagon, whatever...

It's all marketspeak for the same thing:

A large 5 door car for people who need a van or
don't know how to pack.

:p

·
Registered
150 Posts
... except that if you call it an estate you get the vectra brigade reminding you how small the inside of a SW is compared to their freighter of a car. :rolleyes:

if they can catch you that is :cool:

I'm rather surprised to hear no claims of a difference in the drive, saloons are often thought of as sharper handling (perhaps due to stiffer chassis and lower kerbside?) but it's nice to hear that in the case of the 159 this is maybe not the case. Looks wise I definitely prefer the SW, although ofc aesthetics are always in the eye of the beholder

either way, I am very happy with the handling of my 159 SW. It's the Q4 Ti version (not to meniton 6 years and 200k km younger), so perhaps not a fair comparison but it way outhandles my old 156 SW in every way, even though it's heavier (OK, it also has an extra hundred horses.....)

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think there is a 'versus' when it comes to the current Alfa range looks wise. Whichever one you go for you are going to get a stunning looking car (even the MiTo with its bog eyes)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sportwagon for me everytime - I didn't really need one (have a fairly small dog) but just think it looks better!
I'm the same, except for having two small dogs. I don't need a lot of space really, I just prefer estates, especially the 'sportwagon' variety, because they're so much more practical. I borrowed a 159 saloon for a few days, and there's no difference at all in the way they drive, noise, 'stiffness' or anything else. SWs cost more to buy, but hold their value better, according to the AR salesman, they're much easier to shift secondhand. I love mine to bits.

·
Registered
150 Posts
SWs cost more to buy, but hold their value better, according to the AR salesman, they're much easier to shift secondhand.
yeah, sure he says that ... right up to the point where you want to trade it in for a new one and he'll be all like "oooh sir, no-one wants Sportwagons these days, see? now a saloon, that I'd be able to shift tomorrow but a sportwagon ... very difficult"

:cheese:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Got to be the SW: I think the rear portion balances out the long nose which the shortish boot on the saloon tends to accentuate.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd pick the SW everytime....particulaly in ti guise. It looks awesome. Exclusivity is more than that of the saloon which definitely makes it a cooler car to own.
To call the 159 SW an estate is wrong, how many estates do you know that don't have a flat floor up to the back hatch? The SW has quite a drop from the lower opening of the rear hatch to the floor making it more like a big hatch back. Because the SW has more of a hatch back I believe rigidity is kept. Not that I've ever noticed a lack of it in other estates I've driving mind.
I've had a lot of admirers ask what it is?????? A lot of people some how can't recognize the shape as 'estate'.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts