Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
The worse you've seen Ned? As above , how old and how about the rear sub frame and trailing arms?

·
Registered
698 Posts
The front subframe and rear trailing arms on my 2006 Brera were showing signs of rust when I had it MOT'd last July.

Local garage gave it a good clean (I hope) and treated it with some 'goo'.

After reading less than favourable reports on such treatments I am left questioning the longevity of such remedial repairs.

Could be lots of Breras and 159s being sold for spares in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That is bloody terrible for a modern car. Is it repairable or is it s complete new subframe. And how much to sort it. Sort of thing you used to see on all old motors.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mines a 2009, and whilst it was ok there were a number of spots appearing and i was shocked by it. Back was much worse. I couldn't get under tray fully off but wired off and krusted, hammerited then waxoyled it all. My indie treats sub frames as part of the service. Thankfully front bit I couldn't get to was fine but it was treated regardless. He said the same as Ned, it's a real problem unless early intervention and maintaining is carried out.

How much will a powder coated solution be Ned?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
We do a lot of powder coating, if you have it off the car and repaired, 15 quid is the trade price for it, especially if you don't care what colour, as then it goes in someone else's batch.

To be honest, PC isn't great for these applications though, I would look at at getting them galvanised.

A lot longer away though.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If it's been repaired , I personally would clean it thoroughly , give it two coats of BILTHAMBER 80 about 30 minutes apart then Hammerite the next day . Keeping up with further chipping off is simple , as opposed to powder coating having a hard and total seal which if pierced cannot be touched up.
My race chassis is powder coated but I have a regular problem with chipping off plus it actually lifting in sheets in places , so have to scrub right back each side of the peeling coat until it doesn't come off -- then Bilthamber/Hammerite --- it's likely that my chassis wasn't totally clean before coated but you'll never know until it peels off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Echo what's been said above, powder coating is not a good answer for steel components that are prone to rusting and in wear areas such as this. As Rob said once the powder coating is chipped, that's it, protection gone and the rust starts in again (and is potentially more problematic as it will spread from the inside now)
Cleaned up cavity sprayed with Dinitrol and outside sprayed with a good underseal (which should withstand the stuff that gets thrown at it) would be my preference.

·
Registered
38,430 Posts
I would be tempted to get it blasted then painted in two pack.

I know from my experience with my TVR Griffith chassis that once powder coat gets a chip in it, moisture and rust gets in pretty quick.

As for Hammerite it is ok as a short term fix, but it doesn't seem to be as good as it was in the old days, and metal painted with it still seems to rust quite quickly.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This is disappointing. My old 15yr old FIAT bravo front subframe appears to be almost identical to that on my 2007 147. The Bravo subframe is fine but my 147 subframe is really quite rusty in comparison and a 1999 FIAT is hardly a rust prevention benchmark:). It is not the only area I have noticed that Alfa appear to have been cost cutting on under the car. It is difficult to work out what their priorities are sometimes. A car of the quality of the 159 should not be suffering this issue now or for some years to come.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's really bad in this day and age. However this problem is not just related to Alfa. There are horror stories in a similar fashion with Mazda, Ford & a high end German marque to name a few.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Ned, do you supply yours 'as standard', or have you looked at a galvanised option?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Lots of questions coming your way Ned but just for info, on the example in your post, would you repair that cross-member, replace just the cross-member or replace the whole subframe?

If it's the whole subframe, are these readily available or will we be scratching around for them as we already are with other parts?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts