Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my 159 for around 6 months now and enjoying it for the most part but something I'm slightly worried about - the paint on the slam panel is flaking off in places, mostly around the little spot welds with some of the exposed metal staring to rust, this has been bothering me for a while but I think it's gotten worse over the winter. Has anyone else had this? I know alfas have a certain reputation :-| Should I be worried?

Anyone??

Help!

Oh, and er... hello :cool:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Various parts of the chassis on my 90,000 mile 2006 SW have something resembling that which plagued my 33 SW. Tend to identify, clean, treat and waxoyl. To be honest the wheel arches and body fine. In fact better than my pampered 916 spider. Mainly subchassis and hard to clean mounting points (eg some under engine internal body behind the fog lights). Last time I had it in the air for Tracking (two weeks ago) nothing to worry me but will get dealt with in the spring as I intend it to be a keeper.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Slam panel is just black isn't it?

Surface rust only.

Real rust on a 159 can be found on the inner edge of the wheel arch, at the door side on big tyre variants and Ti s paint gets blasted off by the road muck from tyres

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
CJ - true but as I run 17" rims I have not found that.
However I have found it on the lower lip and rear light cluster inner on the SW tailgate.
The places I mentioned in earlier post are superficial (other than in areas behind the front grills) but I intend that to be resolved and no issue.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
If the 156 was anything to go by the place I would be most concerned about is the floorpan.

A shame really, as up until the 156 Alfa seemed to have the rust issue sorted. :(

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Definition via Google:
A Slam panel (can be seen when the bonnet is open) Is the cross member that goes across the front of the car and can go as low down as the bumper, covering the radiator. The headlights and front grill and bonnet catch are normally attached to the slam panel

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
While replacing the screw holders on the fogs the lower part of the slam behind the fogs was bad
- now cleaned and wayoyled!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Before we all start blaming Alfa the main reason for rust is poor accident repairs. The 159 goes through a very thorough treatment but the real reason for lack of rust is the exotic steel selection. Don't forget this platform was made for sharing with GM and at the low Alfa levels is probably too expensive to continue.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am not blaming Alfa.
Actually impressed that on a 5 year old car what there is is mainly superficial, as stated in my first post on the thread.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Before we all start blaming Alfa the main reason for rust is poor accident repairs. The 159 goes through a very thorough treatment but the real reason for lack of rust is the exotic steel selection. Don't forget this platform was made for sharing with GM and at the low Alfa levels is probably too expensive to continue.
I am sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with this.

Many 147 156, and GT's came off the production line with huge gaps in the underseal, and I have heard rumours that some 159's also suffer. They are built in the same factory after all.

Most manufacturers will build the car from varying steel, as they are likely to have a range of different suppliers and will buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Certain parts of the body, where high strength is required may have exotic steels, but the main part of the body will just be thin pressed sheet.

In this day and age it should be possible to make a car last 20+ years. Manufacturers want cars to rust, because it means that people carry on buying new ones.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with this.

Many 147 156, and GT's came off the production line with huge gaps in the underseal, and I have heard rumours that some 159's also suffer. They are built in the same factory after all.

Most manufacturers will build the car from varying steel, as they are likely to have a range of different suppliers and will buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Certain parts of the body, where high strength is required may have exotic steels, but the main part of the body will just be thin pressed sheet.

In this day and age it should be possible to make a car last 20+ years. Manufacturers want cars to rust, because it means that people carry on buying new ones.
This is what I was trying to prevent. The use of the word "many" in this rant is not proven. Steel will be sourced under a contract to meet a specification. There is no master plan to build rusty cars. There is no connection between the design of the 156 and the 159. The underseal is laid over a paint treatment. The paint is laid over an 'Anti Phoretic' treatment.

As I said, rusty cars can usually be traced back to an accident repair with careless anti rust preparation.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
There is no connection between the 156 and 159, other than the factory they are built in, the people that make them and the processes in which the rust protection is applied.

People like Autolusso who see cars day in day out have already said that they have seen 159's with badly applied body protection from new.

To be honest, the 159 is still a bit too young to have serious corrosion problems surface, but I would be good money that within the next year or two threads will be popping up with regard to 159 rust.

The Brera on the other hand was built in a different factory, which has a better record of making cars which resist corrosion, so although the materials used and the design are similar I would put money on them having less issues.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Actually there is NO connection between the 156 and 159, they weren't build in the same plant, the only link is the basis of the diesel engines.

156 was the last 'nord' car built by Alfa in Milan, even the 147 was built in the south, now they all are......

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
The 156 was built at Pomigliano D'arco in the south, the same as the 145, 146, 147, 155

The GTV, 166, 916 Spider were built in Milan (although the last of the Spider and GTV were built by Pininfarina in Turin)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Informed that it is in fact quite common with the slam panel being vulnerable to collecting road salt. Anyway, enough moaning - time for action! I'm thinking black hammerite, anyone know a good rust treatment?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I owned a 1969 MG Midget for 10 years and fighting rust was an annual event. For readily accessible areas, best treatment I found was to use a wire brush to remove all loose rust and then scrape away as much fixed rust as possible. Then paint on Kurust (still easily available - must be good as it hasn't changed for decades, it's also made by Hammerite). This turns any remaining rust blue and very hard/durable. I'd add one layer of Kurust a day for 3 days to let it dry properly. Use an artists fine paintbrush to really poke the Kurust into every corner.

Then if the damage is out of sight, just apply a coat or two of hammerite on top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The paint on the slam panel is surprisingly rubbish. Just wondered - if the worst came to the worst - how easy (or not) is it to fit a replacement slam panel? I suppose it involves removal of headlights, bumper, etc. It's not welded in or anything is it?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Is this the sort of thing you mean?

I'm sorry, it's a poor photo, but it shows the spot welded sections immediately behind the passenger side light cluster on mine. I've noticed the paint has started flaking off at the spot welds. :(

No rust per se, but definitely worth a touch up.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this the sort of thing you mean?

I'm sorry, it's a poor photo, but it shows the spot welded sections immediately behind the passenger side light cluster on mine. I've noticed the paint has started flaking off at the spot welds. :(

No rust per se, but definitely worth a touch up.
That's the one, although on mine the metal is actually starting to rust - worst bit is around one of the rubber washers

1 - 20 of 79 Posts