Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give you a small caution regarding the official Alfa 159 roof bars - don't tighten them too tight!!

The 159 doesn't have the same mounts as the 156 does (no pegs to grasp) - it clamps from the roof to the door frame. Large pads are provided so that the bars don't mark the roof. Here in lies the problem - the 159 roof box section over the doors where the bars clasp onto is pretty wide and not so strong and the roof bars when tightened are able to dent the box section leaving a lovely 2in dent above the back door.

Luckily the local paintless dent repair guy sorted it...

T.

A

·
0 Posts
Yep - exactly what happened to my 147 with the genuine bars:( :rant: :cry:
Its crickled all of the roof where the pads sit on. To be fair it does warn you not to tighten them up too much, but its in such small writing.

Alfa need to address this as this is simply unacceptable - it leaves PERMANANT damage on the 147's and I AM NOT HAPPY.

Carry heavy loads makes no difference providing you do not exceed the 75kg load. Its all down to the force of the clamps being pressed inwards, creasing the roofline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, read this old thread re 159 roof bars etc. My SW has roof rails so no probs with the mounting, however I was very interested in the repair to your roof box section as I have had a top box loading accident that has slightly dented this point above the passenger door on mine. Which paintless repair people did you use and also how did they get at it. When I first looked at it I thought it would be a nightmare to fix!!

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Info - I am just about to order a pair from the dealers for my 156, can't find a pair anywhere else - suppose people keep them for their next Alfa - Good to know about the issue with tightening, I was wondering if it could affect the roof - Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just to give you a small caution regarding the official Alfa 159 roof bars - don't tighten them too tight!!

The 159 doesn't have the same mounts as the 156 does (no pegs to grasp) - it clamps from the roof to the door frame. Large pads are provided so that the bars don't mark the roof. Here in lies the problem - the 159 roof box section over the doors where the bars clasp onto is pretty wide and not so strong and the roof bars when tightened are able to dent the box section leaving a lovely 2in dent above the back door.

Luckily the local paintless dent repair guy sorted it...

T.
Interesting. I have Thule roof bars for my 159 SW, and they seem fine. I will have to watch how tight I do them up, as it sounds as though they work the same way.

Pete

A

·
0 Posts
You see you don't actually need to do roof bars up that tight!...they won't lift upwards or downwards - they are tightened mainly to secure the movement left and right. I wish I realised that before I creased my roof!

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry to bother you, but can you please tell me can you fix thule proride 591 or 598 on original roof rack? Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts