Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought it'd be a great idea to change my main and dipped beam headlights for some slightly brighter ones (he hopes!).

Is it just me, of do you actually need:

1) very small hands
2) hands with mirrors on so you can see what you're doing

I have given up. Another car that;s so tight to get the damn bulbs in.

Will have to go to the garage i think, don't want to risk messing anything up :(

Any tips?

N

·
0 Posts
Once you've manoeuvred the caps off it's straight forward.

Then detach the connector.

Careful with the retaining spring clips as they have a tendancy
to fly out and get lost.

Remove and refit the new bulb.

Look in the front of the headlight to check it's seated.

Replace spring clip and reconnect.

Get the cap back into position and close.

Job done.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You make it sound so easy Nev, I let them do mine at the service as the skin had only just healed over from the last time I changed them

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Once you've manoeuvred the caps off it's straight forward.

Then detach the connector.

Careful with the retaining spring clips as they have a tendancy
to fly out and get lost.

Remove and refit the new bulb.

Look in the front of the headlight to check it's seated.

Replace spring clip and reconnect.

Get the cap back into position and close.

Job done.
Nev, I'm not being funny, but have you ever changed the main beam bulbs on your 159, dip is easy, but mains are impossible unless you have double articulated wrists and hands about the size of a dessert spoon!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Nev, I'm not being funny, but have you ever changed the main beam bulbs on your 159, dip is easy, but mains are impossible unless you have double articulated wrists and hands about the size of a dessert spoon!
so true changed both headlights ok fitted Osram Night Beaters - very good well pleased, tried to change main beams did drivers side ok but with a loss of blood and use of mirror, very long nose pliers, copious amounts of bad language, more bad language and bloody-mindedness, totlaay failed with passenger side even took battery off ! whole job took over 4 hours!! 35 mins for headlights rest was main beams. now have one ordinary main beam and one very bright bluish light!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad it's not just me.
The swearing started before I even started.
I'll try and independent garage. Only want osram night breakers fitted to try and improve light!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Glad it's not just me.
The swearing started before I even started.
I'll try and independent garage. Only want osram night breakers fitted to try and improve light!
spoke to a few garages incl indies about this since, the best way is to remove the undertray, lower bumper, upper bumper and centre grill , then headlight units can be removed to change all the lamps .

159 - looks superb !!:thumbs:

a sod to work on!:mad:

N

·
0 Posts
You make it sound so easy Nev, I let them do mine at the service as the skin had only just healed over from the last time I changed them
Okay, I didn't mention the skinning but assumed that was just
standard on all Alfas. ;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I remember my GT with xenon lights; impossible to change anything bulb-wise. Cost me 120 € to change side lights. They had to bring down the bumper. Haven´t dared to look under the hood of the Brera. Same situation?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Changed bulbs in wifes Volvo XC90 last week - what a joy. You can almost stand in the engine bay, use both hands to remove cover, pop bulb out, new bulbs in and back together in about 1 minute flat. I was chuckling to myself it was so pleasurable! Can't wait for them to blow again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Passenger-side (on right hand drive) Brera dipped beam not too bad. Very long long nosed pliers help a lot. Drive side is very tight, not helped when I found that the previous owner had lost the correct spring clip and bodged it up with another design of clip. I couldn't get that back so I have done my bodge with a bit of fuse wire. Anyone know where you can get a spring clip without having to buy a whole new headlight?
Incidentally, I had to replace the bulbs when both went at the same time, just as I turned them on. Anyone else had that happen?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had my main ones changed by Halfords in Huntingdon - explained I had read here they were hard to do, he had a look and had them changed in under 5 mins! The reach of the beam is still not very good though compared to other cars even after I had the Halfords extra bright bulbs fitted. I am sure my passenger side bulb actually lights up more of the field of to the left than the road ahead! How do check everything is lined up properly?

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
that's why they only took 5 mins !
Think he hasn't seated the bulb by sound of it if it's correctly seated the beam should be same as drivers side as far as length of beam and the pool of light left of centre of bonnet. take a look through the lens from front see if bulb is square in holder? or just take it back and rant at them a bit!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Had to change my wifes Renault Megane Headlight bulb on passenger side. Go in via the wheel arch (small cover to remove). Took off cover in wheel arch and torsion bar goes across the middle so cannot get hand in. Tried from the engine bay - same issue - hands were too large. Took it to Halfords and the guy there had small hands - done it in 5 minutes. After checking the Renault forums, people have had Renault dealers change them charging an hours labour saying that you've got to remove the bumper blah blah blah.

Can't wait to try mine!!!!!:(

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've got some Osram Nightbreaker's in my drawer since September, but I can't bring myself to swap them out, especially in this temp!

Silly question, but can they refuse to change the bulbs at a service? Or do they charge more (i.e an extra hours labour?) Got one due next month so I might just wait for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got some Osram Nightbreaker's in my drawer since September, but I can't bring myself to swap them out, especially in this temp!

Silly question, but can they refuse to change the bulbs at a service? Or do they charge more (i.e an extra hours labour?) Got one due next month so I might just wait for that.
Over the years I have had two experiences of asking the garage to change a headlamp bulb on 'difficult' cars (reading the posts, apparently all cars are difficult). In both cases they charged me at least an hour's labour.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have just had the Pleasure !!!?!! of replacing the dipped beam bulb on my Brera. Skinned knuckles , enough hot air and swearing to melt the snow around the car and to crown it all dropped the B****y bulb into the bulkhead. More swearing and skinned knuckles but eventually retrieved via a magnetic rod !

Previous owner had obviously lost the spring clip and had used enough fuse wire to power a small town and then soldered it in position ! More swearing but eventually got the bulb placed, don't think that it is properly seated though so will probably have to try again once I have visited casualty to have my hands patched up !

Still love Alfa though

58RED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have just had the Pleasure !!!?!! of replacing the dipped beam bulb on my Brera. Skinned knuckles , enough hot air and swearing to melt the snow around the car and to crown it all dropped the B****y bulb into the bulkhead. More swearing and skinned knuckles but eventually retrieved via a magnetic rod !

Previous owner had obviously lost the spring clip and had used enough fuse wire to power a small town and then soldered it in position ! More swearing but eventually got the bulb placed, don't think that it is properly seated though so will probably have to try again once I have visited casualty to have my hands patched up !

Still love Alfa though

58RED
AsI said in my first post, I had the spring clip problem. I had to resort to fuse wire but I didn't solder it. You don't seem to be able to buy new spring clips: "Oh no, sir, they come as part of the headlamp unit. Yes, of course we can sell you a new headlamp unit, that will be £200, please." I have tried the local breakers yard but they only had a 156, which has a different design of clip. I have signed up to breakeryard.com to see if I can find a much cheaper headlamp assembly, just so I can get the clip.
There must be someone out there selling clips, for heaven's sake!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I must have small hands then as I didnt have an issue, ive just changed dipped beam and side light bulbs..... or perhaps it depends on the engine you have to how much room you have???

1 - 20 of 39 Posts