Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am looking at a 159 2.4 Ti at the weekend and have a question regarding remaps. At the moment I have a 156 JTD 16v (facelift one) & it has been remapped by Alfatune (Via JJB motors in York).

The power/drivability is wonderful :thumbs:but have needed a clutch and two genuine Alfa Drive shafts due to the drivetrain not coping with the additional power which is fair enough as it wasn’t designed to take the extra torque so can’t complain :cry:

If I decide to get the 159 is the drivetrain better able to cope with the extra torque of a remap? Or would I encounter the same sort of issues?

Einstein reckons that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So am I insane?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Mine has had a bit of work done by Gus at Alfa Tune with no drive train issues at all.

There are two other 2.4 Brera's that are running more power than me using Gus's maps with no issues either. The way the map is written and delivers the power is very important, as you know Gus's maps deliver the power in a very smooth linear way.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
It all depends on how you drive the car. No clutch/drivetrain will put up with excessive abuse. My car is still on the original clutch & drivetrain despite running a tad more power than most for the last 28k miles. I know of some remapped cars that have done 60k+ miles and are still on the original clutch. I really is down to the driver....and a smooth remap...

:thumbs:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have always driven her (in my opinion) very clutch sensitive.

Won't accelerate below two & a half thousand rpm in 6th gear and never been one for the traffic light grad Prix but still gone through drive train parts galore

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Max torque on mine is 2272rpm on the last dyno.

Why subject the clutch to huge forces any more than is required, foot off and clutch fully engaged is good practice to preserve the drive train.
If your going to subject the drive train to hammer blow launches and gear changes you get what you deserve in any car at any state of tune.

Yes full bore standing starts and high gear low rev pulls will test any drive train to the limits. As the saying goes "With great power comes great responsibility"

But back to reality.
The 2.4 159 drive train is very well engineered and moved on some what over the 156, in both gearbox and drive shaft ability.

So in sort a 159 2.4 with Gus's map is a very nice and capable silly grin inducing place to be.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why won't you accelerate below 2.5 thou revs in 6th surely plenty of torque after 1800 compared to a petrol. I thought the power band wax 1500 to 3500 rpm on a modern diesel
The problem is too much torque low down, am trying to save the clutch by driving round the torque at lower rev's in 6th

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Why won't you accelerate below 2.5 thou revs in 6th surely plenty of torque after 1800 compared to a petrol. I thought the power band wax 1500 to 3500 rpm on a modern diesel
That is what destroy's clutch's. To much drivetrain resistance and big torque will end up making the clutch slip. If you load it up at low rpm in a high gear your asking for problems.:(

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You're fine running down to about 1500 revs in 6th. If you're frightened about it just don't use full throttle there but change down first.

They aren't made of chocolate though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the 159!

Will be pondering over a alfatune remap for this un over the next few weeks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.