Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 159. I know the answer to my question will be "Buy an estate", and yes, if I can find one, I will.

However, with regard to saloons, it seems that the split/fold rear seat is a very rare option. Is it possible / easy to retrofit, and will I have to go to AR for the parts?

TIA

Doof

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a lusso and would be interested if anyone can advise how easy it is to remove the rear seat back and /or the seat squab. I have had saloons in the past that have ""slide in" fittings if you know what I mean allowing the back to be easily lifted out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I'm just about to embark on this endeavour myself, that is, my Lusso is going to lose its seats for those from a TI (sporty feel and a heated posterior were my priorities! 😆).

The fronts have already been done and were easy, literally plug and play, even the heated bits work off the bat. Very pleased!

As for the back, there's a pair or lugs toward the front of the squab, of centre of each seat towards the middle, that need to be 'teased' out (easy to break the clips, so I've heard), and then a further pair of larger lugs toward the middle be released.
That seems to be the easy part unfortunately; for the seat backs themselves, there's a pair of knobs high up which look to be incompatible with the locks used to secure the TI seats in the upright position.
I've no idea about how the 'hinges' mount at the bottom of the back, and further mods are required to remove the cross support member in the bulkhead and replace the parcel shelf with one that doesn't have an integral seat belts, as they're built in on the folding seats. This is another reason to get the upright locks correct!

So overall, I think it's going to be quite an arse of a job! Someone did it a while ago and posted some helpful pics on here, (I'll try and find a link) but not of the process unfortunately, just of what they found when they removed the standard rears. I may do a photo guide myself when I get round to giving it a go!

Otherwise I believe folding seats were optional on all models bar the TI, so you may get lucky if you hunt long enough!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
those clips for the base are a one time use item. if you need a couple i can send you some for a fiver.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Pretty straight forward swap. You'll need to remove the rear bulkhead by drilling out the spotwelds and fit the Ti brackets. All the mountings are there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bigjim thanks for the offer, I'll be starting once the weather improves so I'll PM you then if you still have them.

Mirafioriman that's good to know, my biggest concern is the bottom mounts for the backs to hinge on, so a relief.

Here's the older thread with the pics of the rear seats removed and partial guide, but if its not too arduous then perhaps that's why! 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts