Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got into the car this morning and im getting a error indication on my rear parking sensors, steady beep for 3-4 seconds and then the error on the dash. They all look intact none are sitting low in there housing and were all working yesterday ok :confused: ive read others having issues but couldnt work out where the module lives, im gonna try and work out which one if any is causing the fault
any tips ?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
each sensor will emmit a "clicking" which can be felt by running your finger across the face of the sensor when parking sensors are engaged.

When mine stared playing up the auto electrician was able to isolate the dodgy sensor in this way which turned to be a wiring issue after i had a bunch of cowboys remove the bumper to install a towbar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tried to feel for the clicking with a mate and found nothing. Is it audible click or best felt with touch. Would like to locate the control box and see if I can unplug one at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Its felt with touch rather than being audible. With reverse engaged run your finger over each sensor and if its ok you will feel the clicking

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Still no clicking from any sensor, what condition does it does this ?
Im switching in the ignition, putting the car in reverse and its throwing up the fault straight away. Could it be that the system detects a fault and turns the unit off and thats why im not getting any clicking. I think the parking sensor module lives in the n/s boot well behind the carpet but dont want to pull it all apart as i cant confirm this as ive the workshop cd back @ home

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
my parking system threw up the "parking unavailable" error with only a single faulty sensor. I'd check the parking system fuse first. I cant remember which one it is but it is detailed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So got into the car after work this evening and its working again :D 15 miles later as i pull into my drive and park it up its throwing up the error again :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a bit of a play around today and located the parking sensor control box, it lives in the drivers side of the boot in behind the carpet. I was hoping each sensor was going on its own plug but there all wired in one plug, so no easy fault finding. Either was i think the bumper has to come off to determine which sensor is @ fault. Has anyone every tried replacing an alfa sensor with an aftermarket one and it still work thru the cambus system ? Seems individual alfa sensors arn't cheap and are common to fail, whereas a complete aftermaket kit costs less than one sensor. Im hoping its just a corroded contact on one of the sensors but wont know til the get the bumper off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removed the bumper last nite only to find nothing out of place. The sensors themselves are pretty well made and were showing no signs of water ingress or signs of corrosion on the pins or plugs. Even the connector block which connects the 4 sensors to the module in the boot was free from any signs of corrosion even tho its position leaves it pritty much open to the elements. Not sure what resistance i should have been getting on the sensors themselves but they were all measuring roughly the same over the 3 pins on each sensor. So all i could do was use some contact cleaner on them and reassemble. There working again for now so i suppose maybe there was a bad connection and i hoping it doesnt return !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were nearer I could have done it for you - that and an ELM interface is peanuts and handy to have.
Cheers Bud but as you say its handy to have even just to reset the service intervals as i'l be doing all the servicing myself. Just bought the ELM version 1.4 with the leads off ebay there, hopefully il not need them for the parking sensors as there working now. Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
763 Posts
My car has started to do this. More often than not, the sensors are working even after putting the car into reverse &the continuous tone being heard. Only on 2 occasions have I had the message 'parking help not available'

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mines playing up again FFS, got into it this morning to go to work and the "parking help not available" is on the dash.
Ive the fiatecuscan leads comming in the post maybe the'll tell me more

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To put this to thread to bed, I managed to get 4 sensors off ebay from a guy breaking a 159 for £55, used some old alfa paint and lacquer i had in the garage and i now have parking assistance again. The FES software determined which one was @ fault and i even managed to replace it without removing the whole bumper. Just released the passenger side fixings and had just about enough room to remove and replace the sensor above the exhaust.

Edit - sold 2 of the spare sensors to another forum member (Dougp) who had the same problem, considering alfa were looking £100+ per sensor I think we did alright.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts