Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

Just a quick Q for 159 owners. I test drove a new (10kms on the clock!) 2.2JTS manual sedan upon the Australian launch, but was very disappointed at the lack of throttle response. The car I drove had a lot of travel in the throttle before any engine response. Also, engine response on the move was pretty woolly.

Unfortunately I'm unable to test another 2.2 manual in the foreseeable future, so am asking 159 owners if this is a normal trait of the 2.2JTS, or does it sound like the car I drove was faulty in some way?

Our 147 2.0TS has a fantastic, responsive "fizzy" engine, but the 2.2JTS didn't seem to have any of these traits. Am I expecting too much? Can anyone compare the new 2.2JTS with the old 2.0TS?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steven

PS. Not really interested in the diesel, thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah the 2.2jts is as you describe a bit woolly but in my words a bit sh** totally different engine to the good old twin sparks. Lots of people have made comment on lack of throttle response and being jerky. Each to there own but not up to Alfa's standard. Suppose being a Vauxhall engine anyway what do you expect?

N

·
0 Posts
On the open road I prefer the 2.2JTS to the 2.0TS in my old 147. :)

But maybe not in town driving. :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 2.2 Lusso has done 8000+ miles now and is freeing up nicely-far,far better than when it was new.The engine was incredibly tight from the showroom and has not needed the oil topping up in all those miles!Throttle response is not as sharp as a cable accelerator (it isn't on our 147 either) but improving.I'm fairly convinced that if you drive gently the ECU responds in the same manner- whereas if you're brutal with the accelerator the potentiometer seems to sharpen up to the driving style and now mine flies-if I floor it.The delivery is more linear than on the 147 though.It is one of those things that can be changed with a remap,along with the rev limit (to 7500) and some extra power to bring it nearer to the 200 bhp it really needs.It is an excellent car and handles better and is screwed together better than any of my previous eleven Alfas.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2.2 Lusso has done 8000+ miles now.....Throttle response is not as sharp as a cable accelerator (it isn't on our 147 either) but improving.
Thanks Sir B - good feedback. Now your 159 has freed-up, is it's throttle response similar to your 147? I love the drive-by-wire throttle on our 147, BTW....a good combination of smoothness and response.

The 2.2JTS I drove felt like it needed the throttle depressed 10-20% before the engine responded. :eek: As a result, the performance felt incredibly sluggish.

Steven

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Steven

I had the good fortune to be given a 147 2.0TS as a loan vehicle whilst my 159 was in for some warranty work. Subjectively it felt a lot faster than the 159 2.2 JTS but you have to take into account the 147's lighter weight. Overall, the 2.2 is very smooth and 'quiet' on the move - the 2 litre in the 147 (less than 6 months old) was noisey in a fun sort of way, but would probably annoy me on a long journey. Plus, the 147 is no match for the 159 in terms of refinement and overall handling ability - it will change direction in a flash - especially the petrol models!

Go for the 2.2 JTS '59 if you can afford it...

Tobes

·
Registered
53 Posts
I own a 2.2 Jts selespeed 159 and my wife drives the 2.0 Jts selespeed GT. When it happens to drive the GT I press the petrol peddal with force and the car jumps with force cause I am used to the force put into the 159 petrol peddal. The petrol peddal of the 159 is not that responsive especialy when the engine is cold but after some Km its becoming more responsive. On the other hand this is a compact executive car and not a performance one. When I test drove BMW 3.20i and d, Audi A4 18T and Saab 9.3, I said this (159) is definetly a better car. Previewsly I owned the AR 156 2.0 TS and I can say that the diferences are obviews.
The 159 is a good quiet and civilised car with reasonable power.

Doros

·
Registered
498 Posts
I own a 2.2 Jts selespeed 159 and my wife drives the 2.0 Jts selespeed GT. When it happens to drive the GT I press the petrol peddal with force and the car jumps with force cause I am used to the force put into the 159 petrol peddal. The petrol peddal of the 159 is not that responsive especialy when the engine is cold but after some Km its becoming more responsive. On the other hand this is a compact executive car and not a performance one. When I test drove BMW 3.20i and d, Audi A4 18T and Saab 9.3, I said this (159) is definetly a better car. Previewsly I owned the AR 156 2.0 TS and I can say that the diferences are obviews.
The 159 is a good quiet and civilised car with reasonable power.

Doros
How is the new Selespeed gearbox in the 159?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the noise of the 147 :)

WHat are the 159's worth in Australia? I would love to upgrade eventually, waiting to see if there is a GTA and after my wedding.

Hi Muli

Yep, th2 2.0TS is a magical sounding engine. I thought the 2.2JTS 159 lacked the typical Alfa sound.

Steven

Aus 159 prices:

Alfa Romeo 159 JTS 2.2 litre 136 kW Manual $49,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTS 2.2 litre 136 kW Selespeed $52,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTD 1.9 litre 110 kW Manual $51,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTD 1.9 litre 110 kW Auto $54,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTD 2.4 litre 147 kW Manual $55,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTD 2.4 litre 147 kW Auto $58,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTS V6 3.2 litre 191 kW Manual $74,990*
Alfa Romeo 159 JTS V6 3.2 litre 191 kW Auto $77,990*
Optional equipment for the Alfa Romeo 159
Metallic paint $1,600*