Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

Basically have an intermittent clunk in the steering, when changing directions in the steering whenstationary or moving below 10kph.

I've read a bit of threads on here, but i'm still a little bit swayed with what the problem may be.

I've narrowed it down to a few items.

Would the worn upper wishbone kingpin bushes cause this clunking. e.g moving wheels, forcing the kingpin on the wishbone to bang around in worn bush.

or

Would it be the actual steering gear?

Feels like something is definitely moving, there's a little bit of play in the steering.

It's not really that bad, just wanted a heads up, plus i haven't had a chance to shake the front wheels about today, it's been raining heavily for days here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If its clunky when changing directions I'd of said track rod end worn out.. to be honest it could probably be any part of the steering/suspension but track rod end is a good place to start.. lower bushes are known to wear out and cause clunking but not sure about when changing directions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its clunky when changing directions I'd of said track rod end worn out.. to be honest it could probably be any part of the steering/suspension but track rod end is a good place to start.. lower bushes are known to wear out and cause clunking but not sure about when changing directions.
thanks mate,

I was thinking about the track rods aswell, i'll have to have a good look next week.

I was just looking at those powerflex bushes at the moment, seem like a good solution to vagueness and wooly steering i see people describing. the front lower arm rear bushes seem like the way to go.

I couldn't believe the amount of movement in that video from Autolusso, comparing the OEM bushes compared to the poly ones from powerflex.

·
Registered
464 Posts
thanks mate,

I was thinking about the track rods aswell, i'll have to have a good look next week.

I was just looking at those powerflex bushes at the moment, seem like a good solution to vagueness and wooly steering i see people describing. the front lower arm rear bushes seem like the way to go.

I couldn't believe the amount of movement in that video from Autolusso, comparing the OEM bushes compared to the poly ones from powerflex.
Yeah, I had my lower arms powerflexed by Autolusso and couldn't believe the difference on turn in. I had my rubber bushes replaced before they were knackered too! If you are near Autolusso pop in they will sort out this issue you're having im sure. A lot of their work is fixed price I trust them with my car. Will probably have my trailing arms powerflexed during service in November this year.

Some people hate the thought of the power flex bushes and say you should replace like for like. Mine have been fitted for over a year and are perfect, know clunks no nothing from the front end of my car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had my lower arms powerflexed by Autolusso and couldn't believe the difference on turn in. I had my rubber bushes replaced before they were knackered too! If you are near Autolusso pop in they will sort out this issue you're having im sure. A lot of their work is fixed price I trust them with my car. Will probably have my trailing arms powerflexed during service in November this year.

Some people hate the thought of the power flex bushes and say you should replace like for like. Mine have been fitted for over a year and are perfect, know clunks no nothing from the front end of my car. :thumbup:
i'd love to drop into their workshop, but i'm in New Zealand :disappointed:

I can still buy them off their online store though. I'll just get the right bushes and take the rear bush bracket down to the local suspension shop and get them to replace the old ones with the powerflex.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i'd love to drop into their workshop, but i'm in New Zealand :disappointed:

I can still buy them off their online store though. I'll just get the right bushes and take the rear bush bracket down to the local suspension shop and get them to replace the old ones with the powerflex.
apologies I some how missed your location!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts