Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Fellw Alfatisti

This is my second Alfa 159 - 2.4 diesel, it's an awesome car - I love it. I can't wait to make some mods - egr and dpf delete.

The issue on this car there is a parasitic electrical drain which means I have to keep the battery on slow charge so that the car starts and drives in the mornings. The alternator is new and charging the battery but there is something draining the battery. if drive the car, it's ok...no issues but if I leave the car overnight, the next morning the battery will not have enough power to start... I have changed the battery which has not changed the situation.
Can anyone suggest things to check or has someone had a similar problem.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I was thinking possibly a lose connection on the starter? or a blown fuse?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there Fellw Alfatisti

This is my second Alfa 159 - 2.4 diesel, it's an awesome car - I love it. I can't wait to make some mods - egr and dpf delete.

The issue on this car there is a parasitic electrical drain which means I have to keep the battery on slow charge so that the car starts and drives in the mornings. The alternator is new and charging the battery but there is something draining the battery. if drive the car, it's ok...no issues but if I leave the car overnight, the next morning the battery will not have enough power to start... I have changed the battery which has not changed the situation.
Can anyone suggest things to check or has someone had a similar problem.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I was thinking possibly a lose connection on the starter? or a blown fuse?
Is there an after market alarm system installed? Or a remote starter? Trunk light staying on?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If currentdraw is so big it wont start next morning, its drawing at least 1-2 Amps or even more.

You could solder a bulb, like 12V 5W on to wires with pins, remove fuses & mount bulb instead. When bulb lights up, you got your parasite ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there an after market alarm system installed? Or a remote starter? Trunk light staying on?
thanks for all the replies and suggestions... I've not checked if the boot light comes on, but will do and report back. The car is standard at the moment as far as I'm aware, standard alarm with parking sensors front and back, rain sensor. I will report back once I have checked and got myself a multi-meter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for all the replies and suggestions... I've not checked if the boot light comes on, but will do and report back. The car is standard at the moment as far as I'm aware, standard alarm with parking sensors front and back, rain sensor. I will report back once I have checked and got myself a multi-meter.
Man i had the EXCACTLY same problem with mine ..
Go to the mechanic and tell him to change the earth cable (black).
Thats it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Or maybe 1 dead cell in your battery so overnight your voltage drops to 10 volt
after charging battery, leave disconnected and see if it goes below 12v after some time.if so battery is dead. if not, measure leak current, you can identify it sticking ampmeter instead of fuses one by one narrowing your search. refer to elearn schematisc what is plugged after specific fuse.

·
Registered
701 Posts
after charging battery, leave disconnected and see if it goes below 12v after some time.if so battery is dead. if not, measure leak current, you can identify it sticking ampmeter instead of fuses one by one narrowing your search. refer to elearn schematisc what is plugged after specific fuse.
12V is too low, at least 12,6 Volt or its gone..& yes the 0,6 V makes a huge difference ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts