Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left work tonight and within 200 yards i have to cross the A19,i made it into the central reservation with no problems,spotted a gap in the oncoming fast moving traffic went to pull out and the car just would not accelerate :confused: i managed to make it to the inside lane and then it seemed to power away as normal,at the time i thought i had tried to pull away in 3rd but when i came to the next T-junction on my journey it did exactly the same thing.It only seems to do it from a standstill as at the next junction i kept the car rolling and accelerated with no problem. This may not sound like a big problem but i don't fancy pulling across fast moving traffic every night not knowing if the car will go or not :wow: Any idea what could be causing the problem? could it be a choke issue? The car is a 1.9 dieseasel :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Mine started a bit like that: start to pull out and the car would hesitate but then pull away cleanly. Next day didn't do it at all, next day cut out on a trailing throttle from a warm start and took ten minutes to restart. Did the same thing four hours later so its back with AR at the moment - needs a new throttle body. Hoping to get it back tomorrow (fingers crossed, touching wood....)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
If you drive it for a bit and then the power goes I'd take it to a remote carpark and try a forced regen. This means sitting with it in neutral with the throttle flat to the floor for 10 mins. Painful, but can work if it is a dpf issue.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well problem diagnosed as faulty EGR valve,took it down to Piccadilly on the of chance and had a word with David,he had a word with the mechanics and they soon found the fault and have booked me in to have a replacement fitted under warranty on thursday :thumbs up: Good work again from the boys and girls at Piccadilly :applause:

·
Registered
972 Posts
If you drive it for a bit and then the power goes I'd take it to a remote carpark and try a forced regen. This means sitting with it in neutral with the throttle flat to the floor for 10 mins. Painful, but can work if it is a dpf issue.
Boy that sounds extreme. Surerly an engine can't take being bounced off the rev-limiter for 10 minutes? Is that what the Dealer does when they do a forced regen?

I couldn't listen to that being done to my car :cry:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Boy that sounds extreme. Surerly an engine can't take being bounced off the rev-limiter for 10 minutes? Is that what the Dealer does when they do a forced regen?

I couldn't listen to that being done to my car :cry:
FOOK!!!! I was thinking the same thing:eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Loss of power from standstill or feeling as if no throttle pedal when you try to rev it is 1. A Throttle Body, 2. The sensors on the pedal arm itself ( these are "Fly By Wire" technology ) or 3. A failing EGR valve, although the light will usually come on the dash if it's an EGR, not so with the pedal sensors, you can push the pedal all the way to the floor and there is simply no pick up in the revs.

Loss of power when driving with power only seeming to come in with the turbo boost is 99.9% of the time a faulty EGR, I know everyone keeps mentioning the dpf but in all the years we have sold Alfa's this is 1% of the problem only, in fact have not fitted a dpf for at least two years now but have fitted loads of EGR valves, just our experience of course and we may have been lucky with the dpf but would still say EGR is the most common complaint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The problem is that we are in fact the last chain in the Alfa Romeo process, and we are affected . I will like to know how many EGR valves they changed. Well....it´s clear that something is wrong or this EGR are sh**. If Alfa don´t find alternatives, we have to do it, right, so in matter of fact, removing DPF and disabling EGR trough ECU remapping it´s a good option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The problem is that we are in fact the last chain in the Alfa Romeo process, and we are affected . I will like to know how many EGR valves they changed. Well....it´s clear that something is wrong or this EGR are sh**. If Alfa don´t find alternatives, we have to do it, right, so in matter of fact, removing DPF and disabling EGR trough ECU remapping it´s a good option.
All manufacturers seem to suffer from this. I had to replace my last car's egr at 40k miles (Mondeo ST tdci). The st forums are full of similar complaints. I'd be intrigued to know of a car maker who doesn't have egr issues.
:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes many cars can be on the speed limiter for a long time thats the maximum safe limits thos why having a limiter.... I worked at bentley for a few years and the stick we use to give new cars was unbelivable to make sure they can withstand pain as every engine was hand built.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Been in the trade 30yrs now and boy has technology changed, dont think it's always for the better either! as for EGR problems the other members are correct, it's a problem right across the marques, Ford, Saab, Vauxhall, Alfa, etc etc: gone are the days of well engineered parts that lasted a lifetime ( or thereabouts ) three years seems to be the norm now, the amount of times our workshop speaks to the Main Agents about parts for cars that are 3,4,5, or 6 years old and the reply comes back " Yes, well it's been on there a while now has'nt it?" what? a few years and it's worn out already? thta's why they are called "fitters" now, unbolt the old one, fit a new one, give us your cash, and lots of it! give me an old fashioned mechanic any day, trouble is, there is nothing much for him to repair nowadays !!!! Rant Over, MERRY CHRISTMAS .....................

·
Registered
117 Posts
Loss of power from standstill or feeling as if no throttle pedal when you try to rev it is 1. A Throttle Body, 2. The sensors on the pedal arm itself ( these are "Fly By Wire" technology ) or 3. A failing EGR valve, although the light will usually come on the dash if it's an EGR, not so with the pedal sensors, you can push the pedal all the way to the floor and there is simply no pick up in the revs.

Loss of power when driving with power only seeming to come in with the turbo boost is 99.9% of the time a faulty EGR, I know everyone keeps mentioning the dpf but in all the years we have sold Alfa's this is 1% of the problem only, in fact have not fitted a dpf for at least two years now but have fitted loads of EGR valves, just our experience of course and we may have been lucky with the dpf but would still say EGR is the most common complaint.
Well...I have a great lose of power in every speed, but it notice more when you put 1-st gear, 2-gear, 3- gear. Simply the car response is like I didn´t have turbo at all. It only works when it reachs 2.500 rpm , some like this, but you don´t feel like the car pushes you back on your seat. I have removed the selonoid from the EGR valve and it´s better, a 5% better, as you can understand this is nothing. By the way I will change the EGR valve for a new one, but where do I have to look to get this car done?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Think Retro !
Before I caught the 159 disease I was toying with getting some older, yet mint, like an old Benz, touring or highline etc. Trouble is they are not the nicest looking cars on the planet compared to todays models but you can fix em yourself without a laptop.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Newly reconditioned EGR on ebay for £60.00 from reputable company with guarantee, unbolt and fit yourself in less than 20 mins!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's on Ebay UK, so go to the UK Ebay first, just type in "Alfa EGR Valve" and it will come up at the top of the page. Good Luck...........

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem on my GT and it was also diagnosed as the EGR valve. Quick bolt on, bolt off and the problem was completely cured.

Also experienced a similar loss of power (not quite as extreme as EGR problem), due to a split turbo hose....which in the time I had the car happened 3 x over !

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had this problem on my GT and it was also diagnosed as the EGR valve. Quick bolt on, bolt off and the problem was completely cured.

Also experienced a similar loss of power (not quite as extreme as EGR problem), due to a split turbo hose....which in the time I had the car happened 3 x over !
Good point and worth checking, have replaced loads of these on Ford Focus TD-Ci etc: you can usually hear the air / whooshing and sucking noise if that makes sense !! coupled with loss of power................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts