Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hammering up from Kent to Yorkshire last night, I approached a roundabout on the A1 at around 75mph, pressed the middle pedal (as normal! :rolleyes: ) and NOTHING happened!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Pushed foot right to floor, a shimmering from the chassis and then very slow retardation. Went around the corner Tommi Makkinen styley....:eek: Thank goodness there was no traffic!!

Pulled off into the services shaken, ****ed off and pretty freaked out. Tested the brakes again and they were fine. Tested, tested and tested in the empty car park and all was fine. They bit hard, high up on the pedal and I induced ABS pretty easily in the wet. :)

Set off again, albeit at a much slower rate, had to brake for a lorry that pulled out with no warning :rolleyes: and again NOTHING!!! Middle pedal went to the floor and I had to have the assistance of the handbrake! :eek: :eek: :eek:

All in all it happened on and off around 6 or 7 times last night. Happened once this morning coming to work. :rant:

Spoken to Piccadilly and they're taking it in today thank goodness.

Scary scary scary!!! :(

I've not been overworking the brakes, not noticed any leaks and the only thing I've noticed is that they 'stick' if the handbrake has been left on overnight.

Maybe a faulty master cylinder :confused: Or is there a switch in the mechanism that could be intermittant :confused:

ANY IDEAS - She's going in this afternoon.

Really hope this isn't a taste of things to come.

Bugger. :(

·
Registered
6,866 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wet and dry TBH. :(

Was wet near Newark, but was dry south of there. Was also dry this morning when it failed.

Middle pedal just pushes to floor... :(

Thanks for the link though. Makes interesting reading.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Did you have to pump the brakes to get them to work?
Good that you kept yourself and the car in one piece!.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think Dave is correct, I have noticed (on previous cars and a good while back) that if you go through a puddle ( or flood) the brakes are not functioning as strong as they should do, so have developed the habit of repeatingly braking lightly straight after I drive through a "body" of water, so never any problems !! ( Audi must have got the idea from me ;) as I'm doing this for years now )

·
Registered
204 Posts
even if they were soaking wet the pedal shouldnt travel to the floor:eek:
lets hope they get it sorted for you:confused:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Only had a similar experience once thank goodness. Probably bears no relationship to your problem whatsoever, but I found it interesting, if very, very, difficult to believe! Mini, battery in boot, brakes just disappeared completely. Finally found out that the battery feed cable was shorting on a steel brake pipe, forcing the fluid out of the Master reservoir. OK people will probably get extremely technical over this, but it happened, regardless of theories why it couldn't. Cut cable, extended same,it ran over the rear subframe, re-routed, insulated, problem sorted, scary at the time though. Bears no relationship to your experience I'm sure,just waiting for the attacks saying, that could not be possible!!!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
:eek: Thank goodness you and the car are okay, I guess you won't trust it anymore though? The only time I ever had anything similar was when I had a leak in the brake system, but that wouldn't explain your case when they work one minute but not the next :(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Dave is correct, I have noticed (on previous cars and a good while back) that if you go through a puddle ( or flood) the brakes are not functioning as strong as they should do, so have developed the habit of repeatingly braking lightly straight after I drive through a "body" of water, so never any problems !! ( Audi must have got the idea from me ;) as I'm doing this for years now )
Nope it happens in the dry. The brakes DO NOT bite and the car retards slowly with the pedal to the FLOOR!! :cry:

I know exactly what you mean about having wet disks and this sure aint the same!

I have near ZERO braking when this failure occurs. Wet or dry it makes no difference.

V

·
0 Posts
It must be a hydraulics type thing if the pedal is going to the floor. The fluid is being pushed somewhere it shouldn't, dodgy valve or master cylinder I'd have thought?

Bloody scary, hope you sort it soon mate!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just a thought, looks like brake fade due to overheating. Should be able to feel the heat from the front wheels when stopped. Also diesel do not have manifold suction servo, but a pump, I believe?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Only had a similar experience once thank goodness. Probably bears no relationship to your problem whatsoever, but I found it interesting, if very, very, difficult to believe! Mini, battery in boot, brakes just disappeared completely. Finally found out that the battery feed cable was shorting on a steel brake pipe, forcing the fluid out of the Master reservoir. OK people will probably get extremely technical over this, but it happened, regardless of theories why it couldn't. Cut cable, extended same,it ran over the rear subframe, re-routed, insulated, problem sorted, scary at the time though. Bears no relationship to your experience I'm sure,just waiting for the attacks saying, that could not be possible!!!
Short heated up the brakepipe to boiling point, same as brake fade through overheating. ZF will remember the other mini problem, the choke cable lighting up when the engine earth broke, (frequently).

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No overheating, no boiling of brake fluid... :( Even this morning it happened ~1mile from home after I set off. Cold engine, cold brakes, dry road. :(

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Glad there were no serious repercussions from that dude and that you're OK !! :)

I've had the wet discs thing happen in the Leon but the pedal didn't go to the floor so that wouldn't be the reason !! :)

I tend to do the 'touring car driver left foot dab of confidence' when it's really pi$$ing down and I'm driving fast and approaching a junction or roundabouts now !! ;)

Helps with fecking wet weather tailgaters too !! :p

Lets hope the problem is found and fixed soon !! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 156 JTDM 54 plate had the same problem.

They replaced the brake master cyclinder under warranty.

My wife shot a junction in ours and went up the hedge !!:eek:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yes,agree with the above, down to hydraulics, needs a thorough system sort/overhaul maybe. Strange though, such a current machine? Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds to me like a master cylinder failure,

Water build up between pads and disc would not cause the pedal to travel to the floor, Nor would an electrical fault at the end of the day it is still a mechanical system and if its electronically assisted you would expierence poor performance but pads would bite the discs. The only thing that will cause this is a lack of hydraulic pressure. I would be incline to think that either you have a massive airlock in the braking system (bleed brakes properly will sort this) or diaphragm in the master cylinder is not sealing and allowing the brake fluid to slosh through it rather than being displaced under pressure.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sounds to me like a master cylinder failure,

Water build up between pads and disc would not cause the pedal to travel to the floor, Nor would an electrical fault at the end of the day it is still a mechanical system and if its electronically assisted you would expierence poor performance but pads would bite the discs. The only thing that will cause this is a lack of hydraulic pressure. I would be incline to think that either you have a massive airlock in the braking system (bleed brakes properly will sort this) or diaphragm in the master cylinder is not sealing and allowing the brake fluid to slosh through it rather than being displaced under pressure.
I would go along with what CrazyK said sounds about right to me:(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up the Alfa about an hour ago.
They squeezed me in to test it and found no problems. Just in case they bled the system.
On the way home I couldn't recreate the failure.

Guess I'll just hope its sorted now or I'll be back to them very soon...

One maybe worrying thing is that they noticed the inner edge of the rear tyres were down to 3mm!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: FFS Its only done 8k miles now!!!

The fronts are alsoe down to 3mm (which I knew BTW), but why oh why are the rears so low :confused:
235 45 18's are chuffing expensive tyres too. Especially if I have to fork out for 4!!! :mad:

Still love the car though :)

1 - 20 of 240 Posts