1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Read the Tech Spec on Eibachs, had a chat with the guy in Deutschland before having them fitted on my Lannie. Never had any problems, but am sure there are others equally as good,almost sold her prior to the suspension mods! Transformed, totally different machine.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks zulu.:)
Did you replace the shocks:confused:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
you have fairly new dampers you should be OK with the springs but on experience with the rest of the Alfa range from 147s to GTAs (and Fiats for that matter )the dampers are the worst part of the car and changing those and leaving stock springs would reap rewards in the handling department so i'd do that instead or both.

from the lack of bodycomtrol I experience in the Brera 2.4 I'd say the dampers weren't much cop.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yes, but can't for the life of me remember what were fitted, BWE did the work for me, don't think they were extra special, non-adjustable gas- filled, did have the Eibach anti-roll bar as well, really was a different machine afterwards.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
There's a strut brace available now Alfa20v. Not sure if it will make the huge difference it did on the 156, but it's not a lot of money. Genuine Alfa accessory, so probably a Momo like before! Spotted it on Ebay through one of the usual Alfa people - partsworld I think.
:)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Rick. Will have a looky....:)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I absolutely agree with Sandy that it is the dampers rather than the springs that should be looked at first.

If you ask anyone who has ever fitted coilovers to their cars, they will all declare it is the best thing they have ever done. That is because the damper is designed to work with the spring, AND gives you adjustability to fit your driving. So if there is a budget, that is what I would do. If the budget does not allow coilovers, then you will still get more handlingwise from fitting better shocks (preferrably with springs to match) but also with stock springs.

Fitting lowering springs is popular because it is the cheapest tweak, and gives that sought after lowered look, but it can often make both the ride and the handling worse.

you have fairly new dampers you should be OK with the springs but on experience with the rest of the Alfa range from 147s to GTAs (and Fiats for that matter )the dampers are the worst part of the car and changing those and leaving stock springs would reap rewards in the handling department so i'd do that instead or both.

from the lack of bodycomtrol I experience in the Brera 2.4 I'd say the dampers weren't much cop.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Vamos and Sandys. :)
I haven't seen these for the 159 2.4 20v yet tho.:(
Maybe I'll hang on a while, at least until the roads are warmer/drier. :)
Anyone else actually thought about fitting these to their 159 or is it just me that thinks it needs 'Veloce-fying' :D :confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you want to reduce dive, squat and body roll then as already mentioned you should look at the dampers.

The way I understand damper and springs is that a damper controls the rate at which the suspension compresses and rebounds, a spring simply controls the amount of force required to compress the suspension and the ride height.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks Vamos and Sandys. :)
I haven't seen these for the 159 2.4 20v yet tho.:(
Maybe I'll hang on a while, at least until the roads are warmer/drier. :)
Anyone else actually thought about fitting these to their 159 or is it just me that thinks it needs 'Veloce-fying' :D :confused:

perfect oportunity to be the guinea pig and perhaps get some cheap kit, fire off some emails to the usual suspects they'll either have some in developement already or want someone to be a test pilot :)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test pilot....:rolleyes: Story of my life....:lol:

Think I'll look down that route Sandys. :)

In the meantime I'm very tempted as a short term experiment to have the Eibach springs fitted and see how it runs for a few thousand miles. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
KW sell kits for the 159 so I am sure everyone else has something to as KW often make up there stuff from reworking dampers from the likes of Koni etc. or at least that was what I have been told.

In fact I know quite a few do it as I enquired about the Brera, I wanted to know that if I bought one I could make it the car I want and not be stuck with the limp wrist it is. There nowt between a Brera and 159 really.

http://www.kwsuspensions.de/uk/index.php

do yourself a favor and don't be a tight arse :D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol: I'll try not to be a tight arse, but with the 159 and Spider - they cost me a fair amount.

Cheers for the link to KW. I'll have a look and send a few emails....:cool:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope. :(
KW only do a spring kit @£150 for the 159 and not the coilovers. :(

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
can't find the UK prices I had, think I deleted them after that Brera V6 test drive but I could of had the fully adjustable setup fitted for just over £1k which is not bad, a lot cheaper than what I paid AD for my non adjustable kit on the GT. :(

Really you have to do it mate, I'll add a little bit of opinion ..... whether you like it or not :lol: you've done the remap and that set you back what £300, if the 159 handles like the Brera which are probably very similar its not going to to set the world on fire.

Obviously you bought a 159 because you like it but you know it needs something hence you are looking to fix it, I was the same with my previous cars Coupe/GTA/GT they were OK but far from the car they could be, the suspension upgrade I did on my cars was worth infinately more than any remap, yes it cost more but its probably the most worthwhile modification you could do to these cars. It improves braking, stability underbraking, removes bodyroll and nose dive the car just feels planted, downsides is the loss of some of the ride comfort but if you like to drive you will take the tradeoff the first bend you encounter, chances are you won't loose a lot of ride comfort as the new cars are a lot better in that department than the old ones.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
A word of warning:

Although the 159 looks jacked up because of the proximity of the wheel to the arch, the floorpan actually sits very low.

1) I cant get my trolley jack under it.
2) The nose hits speeds tables and even the shallowest of kerbs.
3) The floor rubs on the ground if you mount a kerb by driving up a dropped section.

Mine isnt lowered BTW.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts