Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As its now winter ive been starting the car prior to leavin the house, its running but unlocked. Just had a thought but didnt want to try it incase it messed things up. So what im asking is - is it possible to start the car and leave it running and lock the doors with the spare fob ?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
No not with remote buttons anyway, I personally start car and lock drivers door with the key part of the keyfob. Although this only locks drivers door it will still deter most opportunists.

I also watch the car like a hawk whilst having breakfast in my lovely warm kitchen.

It's great getting straight into warm car especially with heated seats full on too ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is a school of thought that warming a car engine through idling is bad for the engine. Does anyone know if this applies to the JDTM?

It would be nice to be able to warm the car in this way but I've always been told it is better to warm the engine by simply driving it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know if its bad for the JTDm but my 1.9 definately won't warm up just at idle. Thats the reason you by diesels that they don't waste energy just on heat loss. Seats would be warm though if there heated. Mine aren't:cry:

Last year I had a Renault 1.9 DTi and due to the three flakes of snow that fell round our way it took me 1.5 hours to do 4 miles. As it was all at tickover in a traffic jam i had to have the fan on to get some heat in and then turn the fan off as it took so much heat out of the coolant the engine cooled down and pumped cold air in. As soon as I was moving even slowly it warmed up properly as it wasn't a fault with the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well here are my suggestions for warming up your car... both pretty expensive, but one of them has far more uses than the other :inlove:
Yes, imagine what you could do with all that extra drive space.... ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
If its that important a way of doing it without ending up divorced is.

My grandad had a kit fitted to one of his cars which effectively was a combined electric heater and pump fitted that plugged into the mains and you could run for half an hour before you got in. Basically heated the coolant and pumped it round the engine. Hey presto when you start the car water already nice and warm pumping warm air in though the heater.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My grandad had a kit fitted to one of his cars which effectively was a combined electric heater and pump fitted that plugged into the mains and you could run for half an hour before you got in. Basically heated the coolant and pumped it round the engine. Hey presto when you start the car water already nice and warm pumping warm air in though the heater.
Webasto - Parking Heaters for Cars
Retrofit a Webasto parking heater now - a hot tip for cold days

There, one of these is about 1500-2000 euro for a 2.4 159.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some emergency service vehicles have a run-lock system that allows the engine to keep running without the key in the ignition - as soon as the vehicle moves, the engine dies and cannot be started without the key.

It means they can be left running, doors locked but with all (blue) lights etc left on, without the battery running down.

I'm sure the system is commercially available if you really wanted it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As its now winter ive been starting the car prior to leavin the house, its running but unlocked. Just had a thought but didnt want to try it incase it messed things up. So what im asking is - is it possible to start the car and leave it running and lock the doors with the spare fob ?
Yes it's possible, been asked before and I even did a little vid lol.
On the screen menu select "Unlock Fda" to ON, this is unlock drivers door only, then as other's have said use fob in normal way to enter and start car and release key from fob (or use spare) to lock drivers door while engine is running.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Yes it's possible, been asked before and I even did a little vid lol.
On the screen menu select "Unlock Fda" to ON, this is unlock drivers door only, then as other's have said use fob in normal way to enter and start car and release key from fob (or use spare) to lock drivers door while engine is running.
I have used this method when in works secure carpark off night shift, car is safe and locked but also toasty warm when ready to go. If on drive I would still keep an eye on it as others have said there's only a window to stop toerags driving off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts