Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I plan to upgrade the headlights on my 159 from the dull yellow halogen lights to white LED lights. I was wondering if people who have experience could shed light on what they went for on their own Brera/159's?

Thanks in advance!
-S

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
LED throw out a different beam pattern to halogen, and the reflector wont direct it properly. Halogen have a 360deg span, most LEDs are around 120deg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alfahemi,

I'm aware of this issue and will be making adjustments to avoid this issue for oncoming traffic - nothing I hate more than being blinded by badly adjusted lights!

The dipped beam in the 159 is a projector style housing so should have less of an issue with this anyway, the high beams are reflectors but it's a non-issue with them.

I've had a MK4 Golf which used reflector housing with LED bulbs where it didn't cause issue for oncoming traffic as well.

Was more hoping to find out if anyone has fitted LED's and if there was a set that didn't require faff to get in :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The standard halogen bulbs are poor. I switched to osram night breaker (next generation), and have been impressed with them. They are halogen rather than LED.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
There are a couple of threads about LEDs...somewhere....but I cant get the search button to find the b*ggers...I've manually paged back 46 pages but cant locate, although I was getting side-tracked on other posts too lol, so maybe you could manually look back from >46. There were a few posts in Dec/Jan that related to HID, maybe summat about LED in those too.

And, as Stephen mentions above, Night Breakers are a good white light, so are PIAA that I have in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alfahemi, every time I look back at the old threads I see the angel eye one and get side tracked reading that, and then a few hours later realise I should have been searching for the main dipped beams first haha.

I'll have a look and post here my findings :)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Leds won't focus in any headlight that was not designed for them...they just don't produce light in the same way as a filament bulb. Look at a car with factory led headlights (like an R8) and the headlights are constructed completely differently. I don't know anyone who has tried them in a headlight designed for halogen who left them in. As bright as they may be they just don't seem to have the penetration of a halogen or HID. I had a 280w 42 inch (21000 lumen) led light bar on the roof of my Jeep..that about 10 times brighter than an average cars main beam....you could not even look at them in daytime when they were on....but I could see more with the two 8 inch 100w halogen spots I had in the bull bar (worked well when they were both on when the normal headlights though...it was about 600w in total so you would kind of hope it would!). I don't know if it's something about how led light penetrates the air or the colour of the light not being so visible to the human eye....but the massive increase in brightness seems to give no gain in visibility...to me at least. So no I would not recommend them...and you will certainly dazzle others. A quality set of Osrams really improved my lighting...much more than I was expecting to be honest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to have a mk4 Golf that had reflector housing which I used LED's with, it took trying a few different ones but I ended up with nice bright white instant on lights that didn't dazzle, I checked this from a lot of different angles and ranges since I hate it when I see people with poorly set up light upgrades. The beam pattern was good as well.

As for your 21000 Lumen light bar, that just doesn't sound right to me, I've seen some really powerful light bars that light things up really nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've fitted led headlight bulbs to my 159 the lights are bright but don't have less projection in front compared to normal bulbs personally I like them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts