Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another prob with my 159....at about 2000rpm (at 45mph in 4th) the car seems to judder. Medway Autos checked it on the computer previously and no error codes but I think it's a mechanical issue rather than electronic as it does it when there is no throttle being applied. Any ideas what this could be?

Lipscombs will be having a look next week but they probably will say no problem like they always do. Problem is always there now I can make the car do it all the time...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes I've had this problem too but at lower speeds in 2nd/3rd gear, and manly when the car is cold (not so supple)
The garage looked at it and resealed the air pipes.
The problem is much better but not 100%

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another prob with my 159....at about 2000rpm (at 45mph in 4th) the car seems to judder. Medway Autos checked it on the computer previously and no error codes but I think it's a mechanical issue rather than electronic as it does it when there is no throttle being applied. Any ideas what this could be?

Lipscombs will be having a look next week but they probably will say no problem like they always do. Problem is always there now I can make the car do it all the time...
Isn't it fun when the car does this while in 6th on the motorway. You either have to drive in 5th or drive @ 90 to stop it.

Known problem thats not a problem apparently. Its your fault for driving the way you do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"There's nothing wrong with it; they all do that, Sir!" is the response you can look forward to from most Alfa dealers :rolleyes:

Things you can try:
-Get the dealer to change the inlet manifold and/or EGR valve under warranty if it hasn't been done already. They're unlikely to do this unless the "Check Engine" light comes on.
-Get the dealer to check for air intake leaks. Mine had one around the turbo inlet. My (previous) dealer felt this wasn't important, so I did a DIY fix and it is now vastly improved - see here. It still stumbles when the DPF is going through the cleaning cycle, but at least it now drives normally most of the time.
-Try a different brand of fuel. Shell and others have been reported as "bad". I think I get good and bad tanks from my local Shell garage - currently it's running great, sometimes it is worse :cry:
- Keep nagging your dealer. Get them to go out on a test drive with you. Although my car is currently behaving itself, ES Jones are being quite helpful and are trying to get advice from AR UK on what else they can do to fix it...

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Flapdog - do a search on stuttering or surging.
A few of us have had this and its bloody annoying :(
Swirl valves, injectors, DPF, perforated manifolds etc...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the inlet manifold and egr changed very recently. I've mentioned it to Lipscomb and I'll take the tech out in the car if need be, as I can now make the car do it on demand (!). At the same time they can look at the steering noise(s) and hopefully change the pas fluid...

Bloody car is just starting to **** me off now!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will be changing the egr valve next week...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have this annoying judder, vibration? usually at 2500 revs in 6th. Sometimes underlight throttle it feels like you're driving over a cattle grid. It feels a bit like wheel wobble but completely disappears when you lift off the throttle. At best it's frustrating on a long motorway journey and at worst your passengers think you've bought a cut and shut.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't say mine is that bad but is quite noticeable at approx 2000rpm. Rarely have passengers so can't comment on that one!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been ignoring it, doesn't seem to do it all the time might get it looked at next month.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's strange, it was very bad this morning on the motorway (to the point that I stopped and checked the wheels were all tight) but not very noticeable this afternoon.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EGR valve replaced Friday, has helped a little but too early to say. Will update as I drive this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flapdog, did this sort the problem? I have the same issue with Lipscombe at the moment and they are not coming up with anything and you would think I was the first to ever raise it which is clearly not the case.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whats all this about bad Shell fuel

I have been religiously staying off supermarket fuel and Shell is my normal "tipple"

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I had juddering last week on my 1.9, the Mrs was driving at the time doing about 85ish up the M5 on way back from Cornwall, started juddering or kangarooing, no error messages but should have checked the consumption but didnt think (in case of regen).

We pulled off at services and as we slowed it seemed to get worse, got out and the car stunk of burning and exhaust was ticking away jut like it does at regen time..... started up after an hour lunch and its been fine since......

I usually run Shell fuel and always have, mostly VPower at the moment but had topped up on Shell normal diesel about 150 miles before we set off....

I just thought it was probably a failed regen, will have to wait and see if it does it again.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Johns159.

I had this identical issue too, got the EGR housing and gasket replaced.

It had developed a light shudder on cruise, which went bananas as soon as a regen started.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks for that CJ,

No doubt the the dealer will say theres nothing wrong and refuse to change anything like all the other issues! If it happens again will be straight there, I phoned them when it happened to book it in but cancelled when it seemed ok.

Its not a nice thing when travelling in the outside lane at 85 with your kids in the car and loaded up when its starts jumping about!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mines getting worse and worse...its juddering bad now under low throttle so I end up have to use lower gears where ever I go.

Thinking of booking it in....??

·
Registered
197 Posts
Guys this is the same prob that I commented on in the "Bad day - total loss of power on 159 1.9JTDm"Post.

There is an airflow tube that is failing. I too had the burning smell for a while before the juddering started. I'm sure this is the pipe burning which is then causing it to fail.

Try it, it may work!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts