Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed a slight whine upon going over bumps about a year ago. This graduated to a real graunch/whine when turning right around a roundabout etc. When I got it serviced, I mentioned it - but noticed it was doing it when cold but got better to the point where they thought it wasn't an issue when they looked at it. They did say that the engine mounts could be wearing.

Fast forward 3-4 months, and with limited use with COVID-19 restrictions, I have had to drop a new battery in and driving it now has a constant noise, emminating from around the belt area. It is there at idle, still worsens when the wheel is turned and even present when wam and doing 60-70kph with a high pitched whine.

Taking it out of gear results in a slightly better whine, but still present.

Any ideas? Definitely seems like it is worse on decline into driveway/braking so potentially the engine mounts could be to blame - but keen to know if anyone else has experienced such an issue? Keen for a (cheap) resolution, as I am about to clean the old girl up and sell her to fund my new Giulia Veloce.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not knowing your mechanical skills of what you have checked already I can only suggest some things.

Could it be a squeaky belt? Particularly the one to the power steering pump. I had a belt on a car that was squealed the whole time after a point. When I inspected it there where many cracks in the belt and even some pieces missing. Other things can make belts sequel like poor tension, debris etc. If you buy a aerosol can of belt stop sequel and spray it on the belt it should quieten it down for at least a few days. At least then you will know if it is the belt, or something else.

Power steering pump? Check fluid levels of the reservoir to make sure it has not run dry.

It's unlikely to be part of the drive train as the sound is there when idle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When was the last timing belt service? Has the water pump been changed at the same times?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responses.

The timing belt I think is OK - it is serviced regularly, and I do less k's than the service intervals. I replaced the timing belt with timing belt stretch issues about 40,000KM previously - so know the symptoms of that well!

I have checked the belt for any wear - without issue. It doesnt appear that the belt is a problem.

Power steering fluid was checked and topped up last service. I tried to check the reservoir today - but it appears the yellow section of the plastic top has separated from the red screw top - so wasnt able to check as I didnt have pliers on me. I will check this up. Sounds like this is the most likely cause - even though it was checked previously. Youtube clips appear to show that it is a common problem. I think between timing belt stretch, fuel pump cracking and this I have the trfiecta of common issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Timing belt on a 2.2 JTS?! There is a belt on the JTS, but it sure ain't timing. What you have been checking on is the Aux belt. The stretching issues belong to the timing chains and chains don't squeal, they rattle.
I would strongly recommend you that you take the ol' gal to a steady workshop familiar with italian cars and they should be able to diagnose it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing belt on a 2.2 JTS?! There is a belt on the JTS, but it sure ain't timing. What you have been checking on is the Aux belt. The stretching issues belong to the timing chains and chains don't squeal, they rattle.
I would strongly recommend you that you take the ol' gal to a steady workshop familiar with italian cars and they should be able to diagnose it.
Sorry - I meant timing chain, not belt :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Even cars that are regularly serviced need things replaced and work done to them that goes beyond the standard immediate safety issue or general fluid change.

If the power steering needs topping up frequently then there is a leak and a leak should be found and fixed. Usually power steering pumps make a groaning sound, as opposed to a higher pitch sequel from a belt. There is a chance that the fluid used to top-up was the incorrect type of fluid which would not help if a problem already existed.

If you are looking at a new car, with the current climate you may be able to wrangle a deal from a car dealer with the 159 as a trade in, perhaps worth more than spending time/money on it to sell it privately and working well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even cars that are regularly serviced need things replaced and work done to them that goes beyond the standard immediate safety issue or general fluid change.

If the power steering needs topping up frequently then there is a leak and a leak should be found and fixed. Usually power steering pumps make a groaning sound, as opposed to a higher pitch sequel from a belt. There is a chance that the fluid used to top-up was the incorrect type of fluid which would not help if a problem already existed.

If you are looking at a new car, with the current climate you may be able to wrangle a deal from a car dealer with the 159 as a trade in, perhaps worth more than spending time/money on it to sell it privately and working well.
Hi Mike - yeah, thinking I would like a cheap/quick fix if it isnt too bad - easy belt change/power steering reservoir change is much better than complete steering rack change. I asked a few motnhs back, and there was about a $6K difference on trade-in... so figure best to get it sold privately and just pin them on a good price! A few good options out there through Oz at the moment!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts