Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Greating to all Alfisti.

I took my 159 1.9 JTDM almost 2 weeks ago from the garage.
It had its timing belt Changed + one tensioner + fluids filters etc.

I have Noticed that When the Engine Starts,mainly in the morning when its cold,I hear a rattling noice.The noise only sounds for 1-2 seconds.

Then after that when accelarating with 1st 2nd and 3d Gear when i press my foot on the Accelarator the noise is there again for 1 second.It can be heard even if u dont change Gear,if you stay lets say with second gear ,remove your foot from the accelerator and then press it again. The noise desapears when the car is crusing or when its driven in high gears,and i do the same things - Accelarate , remove foot from Accelarator,accelarate again.

Please Help !!!

My thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
It might be a long shot, but my jtdm had a simliar noise when the engine was at idle, about 800 revs.
I thought it was a damaged belt or something.
After looking around the engine I found that it was the plastic engine cover vibrating on a pipe near the front end. As the revs rose the vibration stopped. It was loud enough to hear outside the car and inside.
I added some padding between the two and the noise stopped.

Maybe this is worth checking?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will check that , although its a specific Ticking/Ratling noise that lasts only 1 second.
I reapeat the same action again and again and I can hear it only when i do the thinks i described in my Post.I dont know if this has something with the timing belt or any other belt or something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that the noise has something to do with the tempereture ... Not the engine's one but the weather's !
You may think that this is imposible but i think you know how this small sounds are like, its seems that nobody hears them except you. but when the weather temp is above 10-11 degrees i dont get that noise. When i start it in the morning even when the engine temp go to normal but the weather temp is low then i have that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rattling

Hello friends,

We have solved the rattling like noise in two 2.4 jtdm already. The noise was coming from windscreen and dashboard direction. The reason was under the plastic cover between windscreen and bonnet. There are small separate plastic parts which go under the windscreen. When I put some silicone glue to the small parts so that they are more like the same part as the big black plastic cover the sound disappeared. I put also some textile tape (same as used in ice hockey sticks...) under the windscreen to the places where the small plastic parts go under the screen.

I believe this will help in your case also

vesku

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hello friends,

We have solved the rattling like noise in two 2.4 jtdm already. The noise was coming from windscreen and dashboard direction. The reason was under the plastic cover between windscreen and bonnet. There are small separate plastic parts which go under the windscreen. When I put some silicone glue to the small parts so that they are more like the same part as the big black plastic cover the sound disappeared. I put also some textile tape (same as used in ice hockey sticks...) under the windscreen to the places where the small plastic parts go under the screen.

I believe this will help in your case also

vesku
AHA! I have this noise on my Brera. Does it have the same parts?

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
It could be the variator - that's what my mechanic told me regarding rattling as I heard rattling on some alfas on test drives before I bought my current one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is no variator in JTDm, if you mean the camshaft timing variator

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe the Brera has identical parts as 159

·
Registered
280 Posts
Had same symptons as Savvaschr BUT on a previous petrol car. It was the tappets ..even though they were "self adjusting" they went in for minor adjustment and that fixed it. Not sure if Diesel has tappets ?
Other than that on the JTDM engines when cold there is a backup heater that operates until the engine get to operating temp. It kicks in if outside temp is less than 20c ..its mentioned in the owner manual somewhere. So maybe that is the source of rattle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Backup heater ??

Had same symptons as Savvaschr BUT on a previous petrol car. It was the tappets ..even though they were "self adjusting" they went in for minor adjustment and that fixed it. Not sure if Diesel has tappets ?
Other than that on the JTDM engines when cold there is a backup heater that operates until the engine get to operating temp. It kicks in if outside temp is less than 20c ..its mentioned in the owner manual somewhere. So maybe that is the source of rattle.
Back-up heater? What's that?
There is no webasto or equivalent as standard and the standard electrical resistor in heaters air duct does not give any noise for sure.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Is the backup heater fitted to cars for the UK market?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here you go... from Page 69 in owners manual I have states the following :

ADDITIONAL
HEATER (diesel
versions only)
(for versions/markets,
where provided)
The car is fitted with an additional heater
that supports the engine during cold or
winter weather to quickly reach a comfortable
temperature in the passenger
compartment.
The additional heater works with the engine
running when the outside temperature
is below 20°C and the engine has
not yet reached normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, that's the electrical resistor, can't have anything to do with noises.

·
Registered
6 Posts
john bent

Hi I am new to this site.
I live in country New South Wales Australia.

I am posting this message out of frustration with Alfa Romeo
I purchased two Alfa 159ti in November of 2007

One of these cars has been besieged with gear problems
The car simply will not engage 3 or 4th gear.
I have two horrifying experiences with this issue.

Firstly I was in the Sydney tunnel with a Mack truck bearing down on me
I had my wife and two children in the car; it would not engage 3rd gear,
The truck was practically on my boot honking its horn, little did he know the problem I was experiencing.

This car has been returned to Alfa, 15, yes 15 times.
For the same problem, each time it had to be picked up by a tow truck.
My car dealer is 110 km away.

I have tried many times to talk with management at Alfa, yet no one will talk with me about this issue.

I am now talking with the ACCC and the Department of Fair Trading.
Does any one have the same problem or has any advice.

I will not trade this car and pass on the problem to some other poor Alfa lover as I do have a consonance
Does Alfa Romeo............... I don’t think so

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking trough the treads to find one with thise problems so i would like to hear if you have come up with a soulution. I have simular problem with noise when i press the trottle and the sound comes when the engine tilt a little under accelleration. I can hear it fore a moment in the first tree gears and it is over as sone as the engine not accellerate. I have discovered that it only appears in forward and not in rewerse. I would be glad if you or someone else can help.

Flemming

1 - 18 of 18 Posts