Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand from other threads on here that our clever cars are supposed to tell us when the engine oil needs replacing, and that it isnt part of the standard service. (I Still think that's odd!)

Should I just keep plodding on with the current oil in the car until I get a warning on the dash? Or should I think about getting it changed anyway, its been in for over a year. Oil on the dipstick is a bit murky, but I've seen worse.

I'm not particularly interested in being told that it should be changed every 2 minutes regardless as I dont really buy into that theory (it's ok if you expect your engine to last for a million miles, the rest of the car will have fallen appart long before then).

So I guess I'm asking what is the longest interval I can get away with, and should I just let the car tell me when it is time.

Never had to top up btw, which probably says something about modern diesels

·
Registered
972 Posts
My car has done a knat's whisker short of 18k since it's last service (booked in for Saturday!) and the Oil Change light still hasn't come on....... I'm obviously going to be getting the oil changed at the Service though.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
I bought a 2 1/2 year old 159 1.9JTDm with a full dealer service history with 12035 miles on the clock. The oil change intervals in the book say change when the car says or at least every two years. I expected the oil to have been changed. The oil degradation warning came on at 15600 miles. Either the oil that was put in was pretty poor or it had never been changed. From what I hear most people seem to change the oil with the service anyway - I will be. The oil change only was £90. I'm looking forward to a remarkably cheap 18000mile service in April (optimistic to the end!):cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking forward to a remarkably cheap 18000mile service in April (optimistic to the end!)
Yes.......good luck with that. I think the fixed price system will put paid to any ambitions you have there.

As far as the changes go, it's more the hassle of getting to the dealers to have it done than the money as far as I'm concerned. I think it might be a DIY job between services at 20k if the light doesnt come on before then. I guess if the warning does come up I will need the dealer to reset anyway, wasting a Saturday morning!

Definately will be getting it done with the reguar services from now on though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts