Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 159 had a new gearbox fitted 18 months ago and now it looks like it's going again. A lot of gearstick movement in 3rd, 4th and reverse.

I took it back to the garage who fitted the gearbox twice within it's warranty as I thought it didn't seem right but both times was told all was fine.

Now the warranty is up typically the problems are worse.

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hello,

My 159 had a new gearbox fitted 18 months ago and now it looks like it's going again. A lot of gearstick movement in 3rd, 4th and reverse.

I took it back to the garage who fitted the gearbox twice within it's warranty as I thought it didn't seem right but both times was told all was fine.

Now the warranty is up typically the problems are worse.

Any advice much appreciated!
Was it a new gearbox or a rebuilt gearbox?

Ned

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Best bet is to replace all the bearings following a thorough strip and clean of all the shafts/components. You know what you're dealing with then. With the advice of Ned and using the recommended 3-litres of Fuchs Sintofluid oil, the box is still perfectly fine and sweet after 20,000 miles. Doesn't really help you out but it's unlikely that a new gearbox was fitted. Probably a second-hand box or a reconditioned unit which was probably part worn. I replaced mine with Timken bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best bet is to replace all the bearings following a thorough strip and clean of all the shafts/components. You know what you're dealing with then. With the advice of Ned and using the recommended 3-litres of Fuchs Sintofluid oil, the box is still perfectly fine and sweet after 20,000 miles. Doesn't really help you out but it's unlikely that a new gearbox was fitted. Probably a second-hand box or a reconditioned unit which was probably part worn. I replaced mine with Timken bearings.
A rebuilt one.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The issue here is that the fella took it back twice within the warrenty but no action was taken and its now failed out of warrenty..
What were the symptoms that you took it back with.? Was it booked in as a job at the garage or did you just take it to them to look at?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The issue here is that the fella took it back twice within the warrenty but no action was taken and its now failed out of warrenty..
What were the symptoms that you took it back with.? Was it booked in as a job at the garage or did you just take it to them to look at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts