Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, New to this site and not a petrol head or even mechanically literate , just love Alfas. Started with a Sud and am now on my 5th which is a 2006 2.4 JTD Sportswagon. It has let me down twice in the last month. Prob as follows - each time occurring on cruising speed on major road with engine warm and no prewarning. Engine management light comes up as "take to garage" , followed almost immediately by loss of power to extent that hard to ascend slight incline. Stopping and restarting does sometimes clear problem slightly but light still on.
On 1st instance limped to nearest dealer ,(not the usual one), who took 2 weeks over repair, (they also replaced other stuff on advice on manufacturers circulation note). According to them ,they replaced the control box for the butterfly valves - their explanation to me prob not precise tech term. Car did not seem quite as responsive but as I had been driving a 147 sport as replacement thought it was me. 1000 miles later in the middle of France exactly the same symptoms. God bless AA 5 star - recommended!! - and Le Mans Alfa dealer who fixed it by replacing what they called the "throttle box" in less than 48 hours. I now have the responsive car I bought back again. Is this the same bit and has anyone else had one fail 2 x. Any other comments or similar experiences?? Tass:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brave girl actually!! Superb service from them - had to prise husband away from their showrooms - very impressive!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yes, lots of info on here.:):thumbs:

Search for 'limp home mode'

Flow shutter valve, DPF and injector issues sound like possible causes.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
what H said - he'd know ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Useful search. Having translated and discussed with home dealer,:thumbs: seems it was a different but adjacent unit. Seems fine now - done about 800 miles and going well - touch wood. All part of the fun of owning an Alfa - although it was a lot simpler with the Sud and I knew what I was looking at under the bonnet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts