Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me by listing your exact model, mileage and average fuel economy.

My 1.9JTD SW Lusso has done 3000 miles and I can coax it to do 42 mpg on a run. Under 'normal' driving conditions I get more like 35mpg. Will it improve as the engine beds in/loosens up?

Cheers

Alfi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep matey. After 7k miles + you should notice a better MPG figure. My 159 has done 13k miles now and she gives me an average of 40MPG, most of that being city driving.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
See my recent post "1 week and 1000 miles with my 159 JTD"

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine has done 36k now, and I average 35-41 mpg in my 1.9JTDm, worked out exactly using mileage and fuel used. That's my spirited driving style though:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
1.9JTDM Sportwagon Lusso on 17" rims 08/08 with 14000 miles on clock

I am a high mileage driver doing 200 miles on a normal day of mostly motorway and dual carriageway

To say I am dissaponted would be an understatement, 40.1 on 1st tankfull and 39.1 on second

Never exceeding 80mph mostly at 70 in sixth, tyres at 37psi and windows closed

Was expecting at least 45 with the way I drive ie for maximum mpg as the money is out of my pocket

My 07 model 3L V6 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee would do 33mpg with exactly the same driving style and use, although it was chipped, the Volvo XC90 D5 SE Sport(08/08) that replaced it would only do 31mpg hence the change to the 159

Not good enough Alfa:wow:

·
Registered
87 Posts
At least you'll be traveling in style Nav18tor :cool:

I was a bit disappointed as well in the start but it doesn't bother me now. I would gladly pay the extra an have a gorgeous looking car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
2 x things spoil the car for me

The very loud tyre noise on concrete surfaces (A12/M25/A14/A120) which could be the Bridgestones rather than the car
Any advice on which is the quietest tyre appreciated here

And the complete lack of storage space and drinks holder, what bottle fits in the A/C centre glovebox?

Make that 3 x things, fuel consumption is not that good!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
nav18tor

none of the things you quote are real problems, the fuel consupmtion will get better as you get nearer 20K, I'm on 16k and just calculated 43mpg on brim to brim, slightly better than the 42.4 on the display. I hope to get better consumption still once I've had a remap done, later this month.

On the tyres my car runs on Pirelli P zero and its lovely and quiet, no car is quiet on concrete though is it?

As for the drinks holder, what did you do before they put drinks holders in cars? You'll find a solution.

As for storage, I agree, but try to be positive and look at it as a form of minimalism, like Fen shui (or however you spell it)

·
Registered
185 Posts
nav18tor

none of the things you quote are real problems, the fuel consupmtion will get better as you get nearer 20K, I'm on 16k and just calculated 43mpg on brim to brim, slightly better than the 42.4 on the display. I hope to get better consumption still once I've had a remap done, later this month.

On the tyres my car runs on Pirelli P zero and its lovely and quiet, no car is quiet on concrete though is it?

As for the drinks holder, what did you do before they put drinks holders in cars? You'll find a solution.

As for storage, I agree, but try to be positive and look at it as a form of minimalism, like Fen shui (or however you spell it)

I know, it's bee a long an boring day and I was feeling a bit negative:cry:

Have spent the last few years in 4WD which have not suffered from any road noise:thumbs: but did use a lot of fuel but then I had loads of cupholders to store it in;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
My car has done 20000 and i reset my trip button and got a fairly surprising 42.7 on my 50 mile round trip for work, mixed driving including being stuck in a jam for 15 mins as well

·
Registered
185 Posts
My car has done 20000 and i reset my trip button and got a fairly surprising 42.7 on my 50 mile round trip for work, mixed driving including being stuck in a jam for 15 mins as well
Mine has 14000 on the odo, but business means I do about 3000 miles minimum per month so I'll so get to 20,000:eek:

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 159 09 1.9 JTDm on 19s P Zero's has just reached 700 miles and im on 32mpg on clock and 33.8 on manual calculation. :lol:

I have to laugh because the guys at work can't believe im getting worse mpg figures than the boss in his Touareg 3 litre german monster.:cheese:

The reason I jest - is because im the one that has the last laugh!:lol:

Everytime im driving the 159 I have a big grin on my face and whenever im not driving it, I cant wait to get back in it! :cool:

To spice things up - im also getting it remapped at Red Dot on the 30th May! That will put an even bigger smile on my face!

So to the guys at work; "You can laugh all you like - but im the one who is smiling!!!!"

Lets be honest guys! No one here bought an Alfa for its MPG figures!!!!! As far as storage space goes - buy a box and put it in the boot! (yes you will have to get out of the car to access your oddments - but thats a bonus, as you will get to see your Alfa from the outside :p )
In reference to cup holders :confused: Why are you even drinking in your Alfa in the first place??? (reminder that it has been ilegal to drink and eat whilst driving for some time now :rolleyes: ).

Navigator - I am really sorry to hear that your not happier with your Alfa vs. the Swedish mobile (XC90), but hopefully it will grow on you as much as its grown on me.... (and by the way, I am the first to admit that the Alfa is not perfect! - but its damn well close)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cup holders are for use when sitting in McD's with a laptop perched on my lap catching up with the days work

Blackberry's may be great, but I can't see an XL spreadsheet:cheese:

The Alfa is great, its me that needs to be in a better frame of mind

U

·
0 Posts
I can cruise down the motorway at 75-80 and get a genuine 50mpg out of mine - but why would I want to? Much better to get off the motorway and spend a few mpgs on the country roads.

One thing about cruising is that you immediately notice when your DPF regenerates (which it does more often when you take it easy) so its even more heartbreaking to see the consumption go to 25mpg even if its only for a short period when you have been "saving up". :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can cruise down the motorway at 75-80 and get a genuine 50mpg out of mine - but why would I want to? Much better to get off the motorway and spend a few mpgs on the country roads.

One thing about cruising is that you immediately notice when your DPF regenerates (which it does more often when you take it easy) so its even more heartbreaking to see the consumption go to 25mpg even if its only for a short period when you have been "saving up". :lol:
I have only driven about 1000 miles in the 159, but have never noticed the DPF cause the consumption to drop, and I drive watching the mpg readout like a hawk

U

·
0 Posts
I have only driven about 1000 miles in the 159, but have never noticed the DPF cause the consumption to drop, and I drive watching the mpg readout like a hawk
You have that pleasure to come then. :rolleyes:

Luckily it doesn't last for long - till the next time

U

·
0 Posts
The only thing you will notice is the current fuel consumption plummeting for about a minute. There are plenty of threads on DPF regeneration but basically there is an overdose of fuel to the DPF which burns off the soot which it has collected. No big deal if you are moving, though there are stories of hot smells and blistered garage floor paint if a dealer does a forced DPF regen in the workshop.

The new 2.0JTDm later this year has a close-coupled DPF which is specifically designed to give shorter regen periods with benefits to overall consumption.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts