Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - Had a battery problem a month or so ago and replaced the battery. Now the battery has died again. Battery chargesw up OK so now suspect alternator. I checked output and it is running at 12v not 14+.

NJext question - Whats the best and easiest way to remove the alternator? Is it from above or below? What about the tensioner? Any help gratefully received!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to say I am disappointed with this forum is an understatement! I would expect at the very least someone to say "sorry can't help". Is no one out there reading any posts? If anybody is interested I have given up and put the car in to a garage and have to spend £400 to have the alternator removed and a new one refitted.

Really lousy response ie None!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just saw the topic. I'll dissapoint you because I don't know the answer but also waitin for someone else. I've got some problem with my electricity. My lights are blinking some strange way. Can't explain. Dunno if that's battery or alternator. We'll se these days.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It is easy to feel let down when nobody rushes to help - but if people haven't carried out the same work then it is difficult to advise another owner on how to proceed. Alternators have not, to my knowledge, been a troublesome component, although batteries tend to die at 2 years onwards.
Don't forget also that a significant number of Forum members have cars that are still under warranty.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just changed the alternator clutch on my 2.4 Brera. Not sure if it helps. Horrible job. Actually ruined one belt trying to put it back on. Need to take the engine off its mounts on the left side and then jack it up from underneath. You also need a special tool to remove it (the clutch/pulley that is). So in short, you can get to it from the top after taking intake pipes off etc but you need to jack it from underneath with the left side mounts off. This is the 2.4 not sure if the 1.9 is the same.

·
Registered
518 Posts
long time to late I know as Im sure you have had it done already, But Im doing mine now, so if you need help still I might be able to help.

To take it off you access it from above, underneath and at the side! Remove wheel and the muck guard behind it and the engine tray. Remove the belt by putting a spanner on the belt tensioner nut and slip the belt off. Undo the bolts and take the alternator out the bottom...which is a pig to do, its a case of wiggling until you find a way out.

The alternators are tight to fit at they point the swivel, I can already see its going to be a bugger of a job, not technical just a tight squeeze which will result in much swearing.

jonnym

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, can anyone help me on a similar issue? My alternator had burned out... so I bought a new one from Victoria Autoparts in Leicester... It's £120 there whereas Lucas etc are more like £220. The new alternator is fitted, but is only showing an output of around 12v, and I am told it should be at least 12.5 or 13. I dont really understand alternators, but looking at the parts descriptions, some show the alternator is 12v, some 14v. What should it be to charge the battery adequately on a 159 1.9 jdtm?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Im no expert but my understanding is you need to rev the engine up to get full volts. It should be up to around 14 volts with some revs. 12v is not enough to charge as a new battery should be 13.8 volts (not 12v as most people think).

My exchanged alternator, a quality 120AMP Denso unit was £84 with £15 next day delivery and collection from the alternatorman_uk on Ebay (no connection apart from a one time customer). I couldn't be happier with it.

hope that helps
jonnym

·
Registered
3 Posts
2.4 jtDm alternator

I changed the alternator on my 159 2.4 earlier this year. it is a pig to do. I went in from the front, taking off the bumper, then the front crosmember. this meant I could pull the rad forward to get enough room to work. it's still a pig of a job, but I managed in 4-5 hours

1 - 12 of 12 Posts