Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently driving an alfa 156 jtd with the 8 valve engine and this year i'm thinking of changing it.
My friend has just got a mondeo diesel st and i think this is a lovely car so was a bit tempted to jump ship and buy one of these. I have decided that it is now between 2 cars,a diesel 159 or a diesel mondeo st,budget is about 6 grand.
Just wondering are there any issues to look out for on a 159 or is it similar to the problems you get on a 156?
Is a 1.9 or 2.4 the one to go for?
Spent a lot of money fixing weak suspension parts on 156 so don't want all that again.
thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not aware of suspension issues with 159 but be aware of tyre wear on large diameter wheels.

DPF/EGR valve issues I think apply to both 1.9 and 2.4.

Depends on whether the extra performance of the 2.4 is worth the extra VED. Our 159 has been fine so far but look for service history on a car that has been looked after. I've seen 159 1.9 diesels below £3,500 recently so you should be able to get something nice for £6k.

PM me with details of your 156 as I might buy it - am looking for something with better mpg than my 156 V6..........

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not aware of suspension issues with 159 but be aware of tyre wear on large diameter wheels.

DPF/EGR valve issues I think apply to both 1.9 and 2.4.

Depends on whether the extra performance of the 2.4 is worth the extra VED. Our 159 has been fine so far but look for service history on a car that has been looked after. I've seen 159 1.9 diesels below £3,500 recently so you should be able to get something nice for £6k.

PM me with details of your 156 as I might buy it - am looking for something with better mpg than my 156 V6..........
cheers for info.
156 already going to a good home :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
£3500!!!! :BLINK: cheapest I have seen is around the £5K mark

It depends if you want power or economy, reading on here, the 2.4 sounds nice and does shift, whilst the 1.9 is lighter/nimbler and a lot better MPG and generally cheaper to own.

after 2 156's, both had new wishbones, but not had the same issues with the 159 (yet) only a bit of a squeaky noise from the rear which I need looking into.

Other than the dpf issues (applies for all diesels, not just Alfa's), I believe it's pretty solid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts