Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 often comes up with a warning message on the display when the lights are on; rear left brake light failure and/or rear left indicator failure. However, when the lights are checked both are working fine. Is it a diagnostic error or something more sinister?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Strangely mine was doing the same today....sorted now. Was a bad earth connection to the plug that goes into the bulb holder....cleaned/bent the contacts...sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well chaps, good news and bad news. Good news is the terminal was a bit bent and corroded. Bad news is that her cambelt has given out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
138790 miles, and a 1.9 jtdm 16v. Half the stuff she was supposed to be with is missing, and I've got no service history for her. According to the handbook, I think the belt was supposed to be changed about 20000 miles ago but the belt has much more wear on it than that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As there was no service history at all with the car, I haven't the foggiest. The irritating thing is that she was being put in for a service the following morning!

Hopefully the damage is minimal and there's no other major faults I'll need to worry about.

Speaking of, does anyone know of any sort of manual on the 1.9 jtdm engine, as there isn't a Haynes manual for a 159.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
It wont be cheap....assuming you haven't damaged the head or valves (and these USUALLY don't)...you will still be looking at belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, full set of rockers, cam carrier gasket plus consumables. Then there's a few hours labour and then you have to hope that who ever does it finds and removes every single rocker needle bearing and pivot from the broken rockers (so that's sump off...which is not the easiest on these) or you will very soon be back to square one. Not trying to be negative....just saying it as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn't have come at a worse time either. I know she's going to cost but in the short time I've had her I've fallen in love with my Alfa. I've heard I'm looking at anything between £500 and £1600. Once I get word I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on the cambelt, water pump was seized and it killed the rockers, but otherwise damage was minimal.

In other words, SHE'S ALIVE!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts