Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
so, I've noticed there a some coolant leaking after the FIRST engine start of the day.

after it warms up, it doesn't seem to leak ? As car park at office & customer sites were all clean. Only time it leaks seems to be the first start at home.

any idea if this is normal after a complete fluid change ? Picture shows 2 leaks, 1 from Friday and the circled is today. Didn't drive it at all this weekend (Saturday & Sunday) just to see if anything happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could be a slight weep from the water pump. Try putting a phone camera in the gap through the tray.
Tried to see where to leak is coming from , but didn't catch it. However seems to be getting smaller ?

Circled portion is from this morning's start. Coolant level was between MAX and MIN over the weekend, this morning it was at MIN so topped up with about 300ml of water.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
As long as your coolant is between max and min that's fine, overfilling can lead to it being forced out of the expansion tank.

Mine generally is happy about a few mm below the min line when cold, when warm it's almost exactly at the max line.

When you next park the car, try and mark a point you can relate back to, maybe position of front wheels with a bit of tape, and start with a clean floor, that way you can tell roughly where the leak is coming from, it won't be exact as coolant can track along numerous parts, but should give you an idea of where to concentrate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
so mechanic thinks this part is loose and needs replacing. connector between radiator and hose ? View attachment 948501

View attachment 948502
As long as your coolant is between max and min that's fine, overfilling can lead to it being forced out of the expansion tank.

Mine generally is happy about a few mm below the min line when cold, when warm it's almost exactly at the max line.

When you next park the car, try and mark a point you can relate back to, maybe position of front wheels with a bit of tape, and start with a clean floor, that way you can tell roughly where the leak is coming from, it won't be exact as coolant can track along numerous parts, but should give you an idea of where to concentrate.
my mechanic thinks it's this part (replaced last week) as coolant was spiling out of it.

problem is it's a used part. Any idea where I can source new or at least confirmed working ? And what is it called ? (connects a hose to the radiator).

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
To confirm it’s that causing leak get it pressure tested,surprised a mechanic didn’t suggest this rather than making assumptions of leak cause.
Going by experience of BMW’s that part will come with the radiator. I couldn’t find it as a seperate part for mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the problem is that the leak only happens on the FIRST start of the day. Strangely it doesn't seem to loose any coolant after. Even at my workplace car park (covered) after a whole morning and afternoon and subsequent starts the ground is clear.

hopefully this is a good sign, this morning there was no sign of any leaks at all. hopefully it stays this way 😄

also pressure test was done when the part was changed (it was leaking at first due to a bad installation and got it sorted there and then.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
If it’s not losing any coolant could it just be residual old coolant sitting on undertray/subframe after the repairs?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
On day 1 that could be explained by air escaping the system after repairs. I would monitor the level and for leaks over a week or so and see if there’s any loss.
That small drop on the floor in picture would take a while to cause a noticeable drop in the level of that is the only time it does it (parked overnight)

·
Registered
165 Posts
mate, it will not drip while stationary with the engine off. The plastic crap expands with heat and pressure and leaks in form of steam Get it pressure tested and it will show 100%.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts